Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eat Curry To Beat Dementia

Options
  • 28-01-2018 8:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭

DUVr26AW4AExNC6.jpg

Always knew a diet Indian takaways would prove beneficial to us all.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Heard that a while ago.
    But if it says it in the daily express...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Or just take curcumin supplements without the curry.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Or just take curcumin supplements without the curry.
    Curry is nice though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭kerrylad1

lmimmfn wrote: »
    Curry is nice though
    I'm sorted so,I eat curry chips,at least 3 time's aweek.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

I take it you slurry poop out the dementia then?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

lmimmfn wrote: »
    Curry is nice though

I can't abide the stuff. Plus not all curry contains curcumin; if turmeric isn't use.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,693 ✭✭✭buried

Just buy the Tumeric powder from the spice section. Add a bit to soups, pints, gin and tonics, whatever your having yourself

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

The amount of tumeric needed for this is huge, you'd need to be eating it by the table spoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

The amount of tumeric needed for this is huge, you'd need to be eating it by the table spoon.

And you'll stain everything feckin yellow.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,693 ✭✭✭buried

Cameron would want to start injecting it. He looks fooked. Them British politicians really stop using the bike once they retire

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Is that if you take it most days? The same with ginger?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭anewme

My Da was an awful man for the curries...when the first Chinese arrived in town we'd wait up at night to see what goodies would be brought home, cocktail sausages and chips (in a box, wow!) spring rolls, spare ribs(very exotic) or a good aul chicken curry no onion with fried rice n chips!

At primary school to teach the kids handwriting you did a thing called 'our news' where the kids write stuff like, we got a new goldfish or we went to visit our Granny.

My sister wrote In hers " Our Da went to The Far East". The teacher thought Da might be a Banker or Stockbroker in Hong Kong but no we meant the Chinese Takeaway!

I included this story for my Dad as part of his wedding speech for my sister and oh how he laughed till he cried reading it out, as did we!

Sadly, all the curries in the world did not work and Dad has been struck down with a very swift and aggressive form of Dementia.

Dementia is a hateful evil Cnut of a disease but you take your laughs where you can get them. Because if you did not laugh you'd cry. this headline made me laugh as it took me back.

I'll tell my Da when I visit that curries are meant to stave off dementia, he will laugh and say something like, "it doesn't fckn work, does it. Look at all the curries I ate and I'm mad as fck"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

And replace it with the ability of being able to ****e through the eye of a needle

• Registered Users Posts: 4,637 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Curcumin is the thing that makes it effective. The vital component in turmeric spice. You can get it in capsules that are probably more concentrated. And you have to take a fairly solid dose twice a day for 18 months, according to that study.

I found turmeric root at the greengrocers and planted it and it did grow a plant in a pot. The roots spread out and boy oh boy, that yellow stain when you cut it!!!
    If vivid colouration is any clue, my memory should be sharp as Kodachrome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Rumpy Pumpy

Now this is a dietary campaign I can fully get behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

Aw anewme that's lovely. It really is an awful disease. But like you say, you need to take the laughs where they arise. Wish you and your dad the best.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

YFlyer wrote: »
    Is that if you take it most days? The same with ginger?
    I researched it for MS, same as dementia, massive quantities and even then...
    http://time.com/4633558/turmeric-curcumin-inflammation-spice/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

Turmeric does kill certain cancer cells though, its not really news at this stage. And that was discovered by an Irish doctor in Cork, 9 years ago

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/8328377.stm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chrongen

Heard that a while ago.
    But if it says it in the daily express...

I heard it too.

Can't remember where though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

Unfortunately dementia will not be held off by currry. Nor by crosswords or keeping yourself so called brain active. We are simply living too long nowadays people. That’s why I drink like a fish and the rest of you should smoke too. Like a fish.... a kipper.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,348 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I heard this so long ago I honestly can't remember when!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chrongen

Day Lewin wrote: »
    Curcumin is the thing that makes it effective. The vital component in turmeric spice. You can get it in capsules that are probably more concentrated. And you have to take a fairly solid dose twice a day for 18 months, according to that study.

I found turmeric root at the greengrocers and planted it and it did grow a plant in a pot. The roots spread out and boy oh boy, that yellow stain when you cut it!!!
    If vivid colouration is any clue, my memory should be sharp as Kodachrome.

Sounds cool. Did you have to water it or did it just grow by itself outside?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,503 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

buried wrote: »
    Just buy the Tumeric powder from the spice section. Add a bit to soups, pints, gin and tonics, whatever your having yourself
    I bung turmeric into anything I can. It's supposed to be more effective if it's used with black pepper, I suppose acting as a catalyst.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

I bung turmeric into anything I can. It's supposed to be more effective if it's used with black pepper, I suppose acting as a catalyst.

yup, the recipe for golden milk is a heaped tablespoon of Turmeric heated on a pan with olive oil, and about 15 shakes of black pepper and a bit of chopped fresh ginger. When is reaches a watery pastey consistency, add a full cup of milk and stir for about 5 minutes, then add a spoon of honey.

Olive oil is used because your system absorbs fat as soon it is ingested, and because the Turmeric is infused with the fat, it will mean it will be distributed throughout your system via the fat in the olive oil and the milk. The black pepper ensures that the beneficial elements of the Turmeric will stay in your system for up to 10 times longer.

If you consumed Turmeric straight into your digestive system without first being infused with fat, it would pass through a lot more quickly and you would lose any benefits of eating it. (I did a bit of research on this a few years ago)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,637 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Chrongen wrote: »
    Sounds cool. Did you have to water it or did it just grow by itself outside?

It was indoors in a plant pot. The roots look a bit like smaller, darker pieces of ginger root; and like ginger, there are little live "buds" here and there on them. I planted three or four fingers of the root in a pot of compost on the kitchen windowsill and leaves grew up quite soon.

To use you just dig one up, peel and chop about an inch of it, and use like garlic or ginger etc by frying in oil to start a dish. The flavour is not too strong but the stain really is! It colours fingers and the cutting board. So be careful of the juice.

When winter came my plant began to look wan and miserable on my cold kitchen windowsill. So either it is a one-year wonder or it just needs warm conditions.

Advertisement