Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Query on carrying service from other public sector jobs into teaching

Options
  • 28-01-2018 7:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭

Hi,

Real pie in the sky question.

If one had previous service in a public sector job prior to starting teaching would this service carry over when deciding which increment the person will start on?

I have heard of service been carried when moving from civil service to say fire service etc but have not really heard of it in regard to teaching.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Only if it can be shown to be relevant to teaching or to your subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Horusire

Only if it can be shown to be relevant to teaching or to your subject.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Very interesting if say you you came from an engineering background would this be applicable to say Maths or engineering teaching?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Possibly. You have to argue your case on the application form.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭CraftySue

I think the most they will allow is 5 years for relevant non teaching experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭man_no_plan

CraftySue wrote: »
    I think the most they will allow is 5 years for relevant non teaching experience.

If you moved the other way though you could carry your service and enter the scale at the closest point it seems.

Would be worth getting clarification from the DES

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

If you moved the other way though you could carry your service and enter the scale at the closest point it seems.

Would be worth getting clarification from the DES
    As in experienced teachers moving into the civil service could take their points on the scale with them?

Advertisement