Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Very simple extension

Options
  • 28-01-2018 6:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

I am hoping to convince my husband go do a small extension to our house.

Its just including the patio area into a dining space really, squaring off the back of our house in essence.

I measured it just now and its only 11.6sqm, 2 velux windows, possibley re-using one set of patio doors we currently have, small addition to current kitchen, few new rads.....nothing major. Our house is not even 2 years old.

Im thinking 15grand? I will of course get some quotes when the time comes.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Guesstimate 40-60k based on similar projects. especially if you want open plan, turn key

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Slimdowngal

BryanF wrote: »
    Guesstimate 40-60k based on similar projects. especially if you want open plan, turn key

Seriously! For an 11.6 meter square area?

€3448 per metre squared....???

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭well spoken man

I did this very same thing myself..at a cost of 2500 euro for materials..just to give you an idea of the price

• Registered Users Posts: 23,334 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Sqm rate doesn't mean a whole lot when dealing with such a small area so that rate will likely be higher than normal. On the flip side, if you are doing works that don't involve remodelling kitchen units etc - only creating open floor space, the costs can be small.
    No doubt works can cost crazy money, I'm currently involved in a 36 Sqm extension that is costing well in excess of 100k and that is only a single room with no kitchen but it's all bespoke in terms of design with large amounts of glass, folding doors, zinc finishes etc
    I'd say if no planning is required, and no major fit out, 20k could go along way.

• Advertisement

Seriously! For an 11.6 meter square area?

Seriously

When youre finished your extension please comeback and tell us what it cost. Tell us how much alterations to the existing walls, steel columns/beams, plumbing, electrics, kitchen, flooring, making good, etc, cost?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 739 ✭✭✭Dev84

Go out and speak to builders. Check out previous work. It should be achievable for 10-15k. However whats access to site like? Drains? If you are knocking out a wall you'll need steel.

Bryan thats crazy to be fair. The poster said simple. Id understand if it was an extension to incorporate a mid range kitchen but its for a table and chairs.

Dev84 wrote: »
    Bryan thats crazy to be fair. The poster said simple. Id understand if it was an extension to incorporate a mid range kitchen but its for a table and chairs.

Yeah! and we’re on the internet, where people give f’all info, assume everything is simple. They especially don’t look past the 11m2 to what works willl be required to connect the extension to the house.

Yeah! and we’re on the internet, where people give f’all info, assume everything is simple. They especially don’t look past the 11m2 to what works willl be required to connect the extension to the house.

I do understand about steel beams, supporting walls, plumbing etc. We have knocked out supporting walls before, had new rads installed in new locations before, new bathrooms installed etc. I can see why you think to me it seems simple but I can appreciate somewhat of the behind the scenes work will be required. We only had a minor refurb done in our previous house and the costs all mounted up. We have never extended before hence I was just looking for some feedback on here.

Thanks.

• Advertisement

Seriously

When youre finished your extension please comeback and tell us what it cost. Tell us how much alterations to the existing walls, steel columns/beams, plumbing, electrics, kitchen, flooring, making good, etc, cost?

I will most certainly do this if we get it all done. Thanks for your feedback.

I'll probably get in trouble for this but here goes.....

People with little or know knowledge amd or experience come onto boards looking for support advide and ideas. Is there any need to be so condescending with your replies?

I agree about the info given. But to suggest up to 60k is outlandish. Any builder who quotes like that either doesnt want the job or is a con artist.

With all respect, I am not being condesending at all. Its a huge risk coming onto forums like this asking any question as you never know how people will react to a what seems like a simple query.

I thought i could perhaps get some feedback from people who have been through a similiar process. I understand I was very vague with my query, I could rattle off what exactly needs to be moved, changed, added etc from my non-builder perspective but i thought that would be overkill.

Im sorry I posted at all now. Maybe Google can give me some averages instead. Thanks for all comments.

With all respect, I am not being condesending at all. Its a huge risk coming onto forums like this asking any question as you never know how people will react to a what seems like a simple query.

I thought i could perhaps get some feedback from people who have been through a similiar process. I understand I was very vague with my query, I could rattle off what exactly needs to be moved, changed, added etc from my non-builder perspective but i thought that would be overkill.

Im sorry I posted at all now. Maybe Google can give me some averages instead. Thanks for all comments.

I was referring to Bryan being condescending. Not you.

I understand the issues you are trying to research.

I was referring to Bryan being condescending. Not you.

I understand the issues you are trying to research.

Oh my apologies!

dev & lash if you have a problem with my posting style report the post. If you have a problem with the moderation report the post or discuss it with me by PM

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Lash_Alert

Bryan seems to have deleted my comment about him being condescending too. Completely agree with Dev

dev & lash if you have a problem with my posting style report the post. If you have a problem with the moderation report the post or discuss it with me by PM

No, I'll address it in open forum for all to see. Thanks. I will also report the post too, thanks.

Also just for clarity it's not a "posting style" thing, it's simply condescending and rude behavior that I have an issue with.

Oh my apologies!

Best of luck with everything. It wont cost you anywhere near 40-60k. 20k will be plenty for decent finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,869 ✭✭✭893bet

In Dublin? Hard to see any change out of 30-40k.

• Advertisement

For comaprison, I'm in Drogheda (which means a lot, as anything outside Dublin seems to cost less). I went out 10ft from the back of my house, and 5ft from the side (to create an L shape wraparound extension). I'm down about €46k. But that includes from digging the foundation to putting in the new kitchen and TV etc.

I wrecked the back garden in the process, though, so that needs fixing. I reckon I'll have spent €50k by the time I'm 'done' with it. I've probably saved a few euro by going cavity brick, flat roof, etc. but these are things that don't bother me really as i was happy with the insulation provided.

My overall square meter, and this is completely a guess, is approximately 37 square meters.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,986 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Dev84 wrote:

11.6 m2 or 40 m2 everything still has to be done just on a smaller scale. Radon barrier still needs to be done.

I don't know how much it will cost but a lot of people make the mistake of thinking oh it's just a small extension. I'd imagine that it's going to cost a lot more than op is expecting. If you want it done right you still need to get in all the trades.

I'd imagine it will cost more than an attic conversion

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭famagusta

BryanF wrote:

That's crazy, 20k max fully finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

famagusta wrote: »
    That's crazy, 20k max fully finished.

Originally Posted by BryanF

In fairness to all involved there's loads of vairibles involved an in Bryans defence he mentioned Open plan which could add 20k alone in steel works incl engineers tempory and completion works certs depending on design

Lash_Alert wrote: »
    Also just for clarity it's not a "posting style" thing, it's simply condescending and rude behavior that I have an issue with.

BryanF has officially warned me for the above post. Well done Brtan, keep up the good work.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

The average is about 1500euro per square metre. Obviously depending on build options and finish this could easily double.

I'm guessing 15-25k for 10 square metres would be your range

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Swamp3

€16,290....in Mullingar.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

No need to be so rude. We are all just contributors on here.

How is underquoting based on a lack of information any different to your crazy quote which ironically was also based on a lack of information.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

No chance it costs anywhere near 40k anyway.

• Advertisement
Advertisement