Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

need to remove ubuntu 12.04 from usb and replace it with ubuntu 16

Options
  • 28-01-2018 5:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭

I need to remove ubuntu 12.04 from a usb and replace it with ubuntu 16. I can upgrade it usinf the updater because I dont have enough free space on the usb

I think to remove it i need to format it.
    How do I format the usb so that it remains bootable.
    I dont want the usb to revert to a storage only state becuase this will mean I will have to use diskpart to make it bootable again.

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭crytoadvice

sugarman wrote: »
    If you dont want anything on it, just reformat and download and use Rufus to make a new bootable drive. Its painless, takes 5 minutes.

Thanks, I ended up using Universal USB Installer because Rufus doesn't create Persistence. I didn't need to format it either. The installer just wrote over the old Ubuntu.

I thought by formatting it again it would revert to storage only so thats why I asked.
    Making the usb bootable in the first place is a bit of a pain using Diskpart

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭human 19

FYI, if you booted up Ubuntu from a live disk, you could have simply selected the USB as the drive to install on and selected "use entire disk" to overite thge previous install

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭crytoadvice

human 19 wrote: »
    FYI, if you booted up Ubuntu from a live disk, you could have simply selected the USB as the drive to install on and selected "use entire disk" to overite thge previous install

Thanks,wasn't aware of that. I thought a live disk could only be used to install Ubuntu alongside or replace windows

Advertisement