Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drive from Dublin to Dingle - any way to avoid J9?

Options
  • 28-01-2018 5:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭

Next Friday I'm taking the drive from Dublin Airport to Dingle.
    Unfortunately my dad flies in at 5pm and until car rental is sorted out it'll be around 6.
    I'm aware that this is pretty much the worst time taking the M50.

Is there any way I can get around going down the M50 and taking J9 to Limerick without losing too much time? Or is this unfortunately still the best way to go?

Would appreciate every suggestion.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

Not really tbh, the city is just going to be as bad. Heads up as well, theres road works going at the naas exits of the N7/M7.

If you were really set on avoiding the M50. Maybe come off at Ballymun, down by ikea through Finglas, Cabra, Phoenix Park, Island Bridge, Inchicore and towards red cow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

LirW wrote: »
    Next Friday I'm taking the drive from Dublin Airport to Dingle.
    Unfortunately my dad flies in at 5pm and until car rental is sorted out it'll be around 6.
    I'm aware that this is pretty much the worst time taking the M50.

Is there any way I can get around going down the M50 and taking J9 to Limerick without losing too much time? Or is this unfortunately still the best way to go?

Would appreciate every suggestion.

Not sure if it's an option, but there's an evening flight from Dublin to Farranfore (EI3208) that departs at 18:50 and will have you down in Kerry before 20:00. Could rent a car from there if needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,370 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

No way of avoiding it to be honest and Fridays are particularly bad. If it were me I'd be getting a bite to eat in the airport and heading off around 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Cool_CM wrote: »
    Not sure if it's an option, but there's an evening flight from Dublin to Farranfore (EI3208) that departs at 18:50 and will have you down in Kerry before 20:00. Could rent a car from there if needed.

Unfortunately that is not an option because we're just going for the weekend and travel from Dingle back to my house in the very backar5e of Co. Wicklow.

I'll bring up the idea staying for a bite to eat but my dad said that my nan is planning what food to give us for the drive for around 3 weeks now :rolleyes:

So it seems biting the bullet it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

Unfortunately that is not an option because we're just going for the weekend and travel from Dingle back to my house in the very backar5e of Co. Wicklow.

I'll bring up the idea staying for a bite to eat but my dad said that my nan is planning what food to give us for the drive for around 3 weeks now :rolleyes:

Take the Galway/Sligo off M50 exit and take Tullamore exit at Kilbeggan. Drive from there to Kinnitty and head for Roscrea. When in Roscrea head for Moneygall and that will bring you onto M7. Take Tralee exit and go to Dingle via Faranfore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,054 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    No way of avoiding it to be honest and Fridays are particularly bad. If it were me I'd be getting a bite to eat in the airport and heading off around 7.

It took me two hours to get from Abbey Street to Portlaoise last Friday leaving at 7!

I'd almost consider taking the N4 and either cutting across at Tullamore or Going all the way to Galway and down to Limerick, might take longer but may be better for your sanity!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,370 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

It's not to bad a lot of stop start stuff once you get off the M50 on to the N7 you'll be looking at more traffic till you get passed Naas south. It'll be along enough drive that time of the night also I'd guess 5hrs+ with traffic :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

Southbound is not *as bad* as northbound in the evenings, so just bite the bullet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

realistically your dad won't be out in the arrivals hall til 5.30

Then between organising the car and collecting it and checking it, it will be 6.30 before you hit the road.

At that stage the heavy traffic is gone.

Weather forecast from Friday afternoon/evening is dry - so that will help too.

eta Dingle will be 11.30pm/midnight

Best stop for coffee will be Applegreen @ Birdhill (8.30pm) followed by the Centra shop in Farranfore as you turn towards Milltown (10.15pm) and on to Dingle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

My advice on passing Limerick is to go via mungret/ foynes/ tarbert/ listowel/Tralee.
    The actual drive time is only an hour.

It avoids the bottleneck at adare, Newcastle west, abbeyfeale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,307 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I’d think your as well off just biting the bullet and going around the m50 by the time you leave the airport the worst will have passed and although it’s a pain it’ll probably be quicker than trying to avoid it

I just had a look on the map, going via Tullamore and Roscrea is only 30 minutes longer without traffic, would that really pay off?
    We'd definitely prefer taking the quieter road, I've lost my sh1t at J9 a good few times and I know that the traffic will be really heavy well past Naas.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Cushtie

My advice on passing Limerick is to go via mungret/ foynes/ tarbert/ listowel/Tralee.
    The actual drive time is only an hour.

It avoids the bottleneck at adare, Newcastle west, abbeyfeale.

By the time they get down there Adare, Newcastle West etc should be light enough trafic wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

How about M6 to Galway and M18 to Limerick?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,809 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

If you have access to a sat nav press alternative route when you get there and see what it comes up with

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Peatys wrote: »
    Southbound is not *as bad* as northbound in the evenings, so just bite the bullet.

It's bad at the M1-Finglas each evening, the OP can take the the road along the Runway to Finglas and join the M50 there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

It's bad at the M1-Finglas each evening, the OP can take the the road along the Runway to Finglas and join the M50 there.

Back of the airport is a nightmare these days, all the way from the st Margret's roundabout to back knocksedan. There used to be a handy left that went by the Boot Inn, but that's now closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Staph

How about getting return flights back to Dublin? Park your car for the weekend and rent a car if you need to in Dingle. Miss all the traffic and get to Dingle quicker to enjoy the evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭atilladehun

Flying to Kerry is brilliant. Honestly saves hours. Way more relaxing than that horrible drive.

I've done it a couple of times. Parked in the airport and rented a car down there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Flying to Kerry is brilliant. Honestly saves hours. Way more relaxing than that horrible drive.

Yep, have done it before and it’s great. Especially if you’re in Dublin airport anyway. Lovely small airport in kerry so nothing like the waits in Dublin etc.

That is the route I'm usually taking, will do this time too.

Flying is no option because we're 2 adults and a child, flights would be a bit under 300 Euro but my dad wants to keep the rental car for himself anyway because he will stay in Wexford//Wicklow for another week.

EDIT: We're also only there over the weekend and planning to stop in Cashel on the way back.

Advertisement