Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Family holiday in south Italy

• 28-01-2018 4:10pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2

Hey there all you Holiday goers.
    We're a family of 5 looking to go to Italy in late July. My wife really wants to see Pompeii & Naples. I'm all on for it but was thinking of air Air B&B. But am happy to see you opinions and suggestions.
    Hotels of 3 stars plus or a good Agri tourism place?
    Near to the beaches the better. We into tennis and would like to offload the kids daily.
    Please let us know.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,045 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I was in Naples & Sorrento for about a week as a solo traveler last summer but loved it.

Stayed in a small locally-owned Hostel, but I imagine you will be looking for something different so can't help you there I'm afraid.

Naples itself, I'll try some up what I got up to. I really liked the architecture - cobblestones, narrow streets, high rise buildings where the bottom level is commercial but all the top levels are homes. Graffiiti everywhere on the bottom levels, but never on any of the 'nice' buildings like tourist hotspots, fountains etc. Some lovely colour in the buildings in general. Really can't describe it well enough. The entire city is dominated by views of Vesuvius - amazing.

All the food is pizza, but it is delicious and cheap!

Not really much of a bar scene, more restaurants that serve drink. More into their coffee & ice cream instead.

Vespas everywhere. But you can walk around handy enough, if you don't mind hills. There is also a good metro system.

I found it best for some brilliant old buildings like the many beautiful churches who's name I can not remember, the Cathedral, the Royal Palace, the Castle (there are 3 but the walk up to Castel Sant'Elmo and the subsequent views of the city are lovely, Santa Chiara is a hidden gem that I found a must go to. Santa Lucia street has to be experienced.

I found that Naples was a great base to go to Pompeii & Mt. Vesuvius. You can get the train out there and back (go to Pompeii first maybe which is the latter stop, and then get off to go to Vesuvius on the way back to Naples again). I think I paid about €7 return for it. Possibly cheaper. It's the local trains and are old, but during summer the windows are open so who needs air con! :) be careful of your bags here, scammers etc, and you may not get a seat for 5. Actually more than likely won't but you'll get 2 or 3 together at some point. The queue for tickets for these trains are an absolute joke. No queue system, just a group of people. Some local Italians think it's their right to skip ahead of tourists too. Just be prepared to stand your place in the 'queue'.

Both Pompeii & Vesuvius are totally worth it. I recommend getting a guided tour for Pompeii rather than wander around yourself. Only costs about €10/€15 for an adult. Mt. Vesuvius costs €20 - €10 for entry to the park and €10 for the bus return. The bus drives you 90% up the volcano, you walk the rest, and then he collects you again and you can hop on the train back to Naples again. The views of Napoli bay from atop Vesuvius are stunning.Pompeii is a bit crap for food and is overpriced. Maybe bring packed lunches, if you don't mind carrying it around while you walk everywhere. Otherwise it's pizza and chips!

I never went but apparently Hereclano (sp) is better than Pompeii but that's other people's opinions! Pompeiii tour may not seem good at the start but it's a grower! Oh and the whole town
    is basically full of brothels and sex posters / memorabilia

I used Sorrento as a base for the Amalfi Coast. Highly recommend the day trip to Positano. Sorrento has some of the best food I've ever eaten and actually cheaper than i thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭Salthillprom

I adore the south of Italy and I'll also holiday there this year. My family own a house near-ish to Sorrento/Pompeii etc..maybe about an hour away.
    My advice is to go to Herculaneum too. It's better preserved than Pompeii. I'm not trying to take away from Pompeii - it's still amazing!
    Sorrento is beautiful. Salerno, skip it.
    Positano is magical.
    Naples is gritty but worth a look. The old town is beautiful. I don't think I would recommend basing the family there. Visit it for a day or two, but that's enough. It's pretty rough.
    If you can afford it, try to stay in Sorrento for a while...it's expensive though for hotels etc.
    There's a wealth of places to visit in Southern Italy. Lots of history and culture. You'd need a car to go inland. The train is good from Naples to Sorrento and onwards. However, don't limit yourself to the coast. If hiring a car, be warned, the Italians are insane drivers!
    Also, be aware that peak summer gets extremely hot in southern Italy.
    You'll love it. Italian people are very family friendly and the food and vino is bellissimo!

Advertisement