Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UKTV Irish Opt Outs

Options
  • 28-01-2018 4:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭

Not sure if I have tuned in Irish opt outs on FTA satellite or if the Irish ads run in the U.K. Also? Is channel 4 Ireland still encrypted?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,529 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Afaik it still is, to allow for selective blocking of programmes for which C4 have no Irish rights (though I haven’t come across any blocked programmes of late). Also there’s no HD version of C4 ROI on satellite.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,771 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

was there a thread discussing how UK TV channel versions with the ability to have different ads for UK and Ireland had to be created now?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,771 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

has the gov ever tried to complain about or prevent certain illegal here but not in th UK TV ads from being shown/received here?

the gov sought a review of opt-outs etc https://www.independent.ie/business/media/ireland-seeks-cut-of-uk-channels-50m-ad-revenue-35210616.html but there was already a review in 2014 but i can't find it anywhere https://www.irishtimes.com/business/media-and-marketing/uk-television-channels-drain-irish-broadcasters-of-cash-for-content-1.2749293

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

has the gov ever tried to complain about or prevent certain illegal here but not in th UK TV ads from being shown/received here?

the gov sought a review of opt-outs etc https://www.independent.ie/business/media/ireland-seeks-cut-of-uk-channels-50m-ad-revenue-35210616.html but there was already a review in 2014 but i can't find it anywhere https://www.irishtimes.com/business/media-and-marketing/uk-television-channels-drain-irish-broadcasters-of-cash-for-content-1.2749293

EU rules allow such advertising and legacy viewing trends in Ireland. Lack of will from RTÉ, TV3 and TG4 to provide better services over the years.

Also this is to do with UKTV https://network.uktv.co.uk/

Really, Drama, Yesterday, Dave and Home show a few Irish ads on FTA satellite, just trying to find out if their are 2 feeds one for Irish opt outs and British ads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭Rick_

Dave, Gold, Alibi, Drama, Really and W all have Irish versions on satellite which are the same as the UK versions but with Irish targeted adverts.

There are no Irish versions of Home, Eden, Yesterday or Good Food.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭khumbu

Pick & Challenge also have FTA Irish opt out versions.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Dave_Dublin

khumbu wrote: »
    Pick & Challenge also have FTA Irish opt out versions.

They are both owned by Sky.

I believe the poster was only relating to "UKTV" - owned channels.:)

They are both owned by Sky.

I believe the poster was only relating to "UKTV" - owned channels.:)

Yes but I assume that both UKTV and Sky have FTA versions of Irish Opt-Outs, I just happened to add their Irish versions when I tuned in their channels and deleted the UK version unintentionally and visa-versa in some cases.

Dave, Drama, Really must be the only Irish Opt-Out I have, as W, Gold and Alibi are all Pay on Satellite.

Could be wrong but I assume the Irish continuity announcers are only on the Irish opt out version of UKTV channels.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Elmo wrote: »
    Could be wrong but I assume the Irish continuity announcers are only on the Irish opt out version of UKTV channels.

No. Irish accents are extremely common in VO in the UK as they are regionless to UK (well GB anyway) customers.

Southerners don't like Northern VOs and v/v. Scots don't like English V/Os although the English don't mind the Scots. Generally none of them care about Irish V/Os.

Notice the amount of random shows V/Oed by Andrew Maxwell, Craig Doyle etc.

• Advertisement

L1011 wrote: »
    No. Irish accents are extremely common in VO in the UK as they are regionless to UK (well GB anyway) customers.

Southerners don't like Northern VOs and v/v. Scots don't like English V/Os although the English don't mind the Scots. Generally none of them care about Irish V/Os.

Notice the amount of random shows V/Oed by Andrew Maxwell, Craig Doyle etc.

True but UKTV was only ever seem to have Irish continuity announcers, this is unusual.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Elmo wrote: »
    True but UKTV was only ever seem to have Irish continuity announcers, this is unusual.

So did Sky One for years. Its not at all unusual.

Advertisement