Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Must to things in Paris that's not Eiffel Tower or Louvre

Options
  • 28-01-2018 2:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

Heading to paris for 3 nights next week with my o/h and just wondering what should we not miss? We've both been before for 1 day/night and took in the Eiffel Tower and Louvre, so we're looking for other things that might not be as obvious. Are the catacombs worth a visit? Seine cruise? Anything else ot other tips for things maybe off the beaten track?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭anne burnell

Catacombs definitely worth a visit as is the pantheon

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭anne burnell

Also check out the palace of Versailles is well worth a visit and the seine boat trip is rather nice too

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

I did the catacombs before and really enjoyed it, but it depends on what you're into!

Notre Dame is definitely worth a visit if you haven't been there before and if you're into architecture.

I absolutely loved the impressionist paintings in Museum d'Orsay.

Montmartre is a lovely area to wander around during the day and you can get a nice view of the city from Sacre Coeur. The Moulin Rouge is a disappointment from the outside, but probably worth deciding for yourself as it's also in that area.

I enjoyed a day trip to Versaille, but depends on how much time you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

A trip to the top of La Grande Arche de la Defence.

It's an office building, but you can take a guided elevator to the top. Excellent views. Pretty near the Arc du Triomphe

The Pere Lachaise graveyard. Eternal home to Jim Morrison and other luminaries.

Musee d'Orsay

Palace of Versailles. The gardens are lovely.

Notre Dame cathedral

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Invalides and visit Napoleon. Very very impressive.
    I'd also say head on a walking tour. Great way to get to know the city and learn some interesting things.

If you like modern art, the pomipidou is excellent.
    If you don't, appreciate it from the outside. It's very impressive and completely different to anything else you'll see in Paris.

Visit the Pantheon and walk among the greats of France. Everyone from Victor Hugo to Voltaire are asleep here.

Head to the marais district. Turn off the maps on your phone etc and just wander. In fact that's my favourite thing to do in Paris.
    Just wander about and take it all in. I've lost count how many times I've been there in the last few years and done just this :pac:
    Grab a coffee in the non tourist trap Cafe's (lack of English menus is an identifier) and sit outside. Watch Paris go by.

Visit the mosque and have sweet tea and cake. Feed the small birds that land on your table looking for titbits.

• Advertisement

Jimbob1977 wrote: »

The Pere Lachaise graveyard. Eternal home to Jim Morrison and other luminaries

Deffo do this, and a day in Disney

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭Duff

Some great info and tips there, so should have plenty to keep up entertained! Thanks a lot for the replies guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Psychologeeee

The queues for the catacombs are pretty lengthy so factor that in! We waited about 2.5 hours

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Sainte-Chapelle is beautiful and the queues are very short.

As mentioned the view from the top of the Sacre-Coeur is unmissable, couldn't rate it highly enough. Weather dependent, of course.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Seine cruise is great, hopefully the floods will have subsided by the time you get there! Also Notre Dame is fantastic and just wandering the areas around it is lovely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Brian Lighthouse

If you really want to visit an attraction, get there before they open in the morning. When you finish and are heading away, you'll be delighted you got there early as you gaze at the line of people waiting to get in.
    Like what was mentioned in other posts, go walking, even two streets/blocks away from the river in some stretches is a different experience and price-tag.
    Have fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Exiled1

If you like that kind of thing and wish to spend lots of money, the Moulin Rouge puts on a superb show. Costly, good value for its type, needs to be booked well ahead.
    Otherwise suggestions above are all excellent. Catering to most tastes!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

The queues for the catacombs are pretty lengthy so factor that in! We waited about 2.5 hours

Mother of God! Ok, it's not worth a 2.5 hour queue :P I think we waited 10-20mins. I guess it depends on the time of year and day of the week etc.

Advertisement