Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So you rent a holiday apartment in Spain/lanzarote.....what do you expect?

Options
  • 28-01-2018 2:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭

Hi folks, I will be renovating an apartment in the old town of Puerto del carmen in lanzarote, I would like to get some feedback on how it should be styled. The apartment will then be short term rented out to Irish/English/Germans

I know it's an odd question to ask in the design forum, but I thought you might have an appreciation of design and interiors.

To give you an idea, it's a one bedroom apartment with a balcony that is close to a harbour area in the old town. Lanzarote buildings are all whitewashed and the interior walls are normally painted white also. There is a close link with nature as they use a lot of dark volcanic stone in their outdoor garden areas mixed with Mediterranean planting. So the white and the dark rock is very striking

So we have been debating what way we should finish the apartment. There's one option which would involve modern square cream floor tiles, and modern high gloss kitchen with brushed handles, and a modern bathroom. The benefits of a finish like this is that it's nice to arrive to a clean modern apartment for your holiday. The downside is that it may feel a little bit too much like home and doesn't carry an essence of the island. It would also be difficult to introduce that character into an ultra modern space.

The other option is to go for a rustic terracotta floor tile, but keep the luxury of the modern kitchen, and bathroom. I feel that mixing the rustic with the modern would allow for more character to the apartment and to introduce some marine or beach touches like artwork, cushions and other marine type items. The downside is that you could potentially make a hames of it and it would look terrible.

We're really not sure what way to go. I'm sure the all modern approach is safest but the rustic look would really provide a wow factor considering. How close it is to the harbour etc

So what do you expect when you go abroad to accommodation. Do you prefer something that is in keeping with the area, or do you prefer the familiarity of home?

Any help appreciated!

This is the current apartment, you can see photos from the site if you like.

https://www.ownersdirect.co.uk/accommodation/p8067430

Advertisement