Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reporting stolen bike to gardai

Options
  • 28-01-2018 9:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭

My bike was robbed outside the local church while I was attending a mass service last night. It was worth 200 euro. I didn't have its serial number. Would it be a waste of time reporting it stolen without it. They have some brass neck doing it outside a Church:(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Achasanai

Where abouts was it stolen? There are a couple of spots in town that are notorious for selling on stolen goods.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

billyhead wrote: »
    My bike was robbed outside the local church while I was attending a mass service last night. It was worth 200 euro. I didn't have its serial number. Would it be a waste of time reporting it stolen without it. They have some brass neck doing it outside a Church:(

Probably, but do it anyway. Check Adverts/donedeal/Facebook for the next few weeks and give us a description and location it was taken from in case anyone here comes across it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,480 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

report it - not in any great hope that you'll get it back, but IIRC bike theft is a very underreported crime. we need better stats which in an ideal world would create more focus on the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭billyhead

Thanks folks. I will report it. It was Carrera Subway 2 bike black in colour with disc breaks and a rear mudguard. Size 20 and it also had a rear light.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭Steviesol

Happened to me too when I was ten, made go to church and my bike got robbed outside. Lost faith. Chin up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Steviesol wrote: »
    Lost faith. Chin up

It was all part of god's plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Thanks folks. I will report it. It was Carrera Subway 2 bike black in colour with disc breaks and a rear mudguard. Size 20 and it also had a rear light.
    From the porch of St Maur's??

From the porch of St Maur's??

Just outside the entrance to the porch. Real scummy thing to do.:mad:

Just outside the entrance to the porch. Real scummy thing to do.:mad:
    Some older parishioners leave their bikes unlocked there and they never seem to be touched.

Sorry to hear about it. I'd report it anyway - you've nothing to lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Years ago had a bike stolen when living in tyrrelstown told the guards anyway, One of them said they had recovered a few and to have a look if i wanted in blanchardstown station. Close on a thousand bikes out the back and plenty cars as well, found my one anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭porsche boy

Mooooo wrote:
    Years ago had a bike stolen when living in tyrrelstown told the guards anyway, One of them said they had recovered a few and to have a look if i wanted in blanchardstown station. Close on a thousand bikes out the back and plenty cars as well, found my one anyway

What did you need to do to prove it was yours?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

What did you need to do to prove it was yours?

Nothing, had given a description beforehand it was an old "mountain" bike not worth 50 quid. Was surprised tbh

So I found my stolen bike for sale on adverts and arranged to meet up with the seller at a neutral location. He agreed the time and date but then at the last minute made an excuse not to meet. BTW I rang the guards and told them about the bike being on sale on adverts having previously reported it and they said because I didn't record the serial number there was nothing they could do about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭Steviesol

So I found my stolen bike for sale on adverts and arranged to meet up with the seller at a neutral location. He agreed the time and date but then at the last minute made an excuse not to meet. BTW I rang the guards and told them about the bike being on sale on adverts having previously reported it and they said because I didn't record the serial number there was nothing they could do about it.

Good detective work. Hopefully you get some solution

Steviesol wrote: »
    Good detective work. Hopefully you get some solution

Cheers. I don't think he is going to meet up now. What's the next step. Contact him and threaten to expose him on adverts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Cheers. I don't think he is going to meet up now. What's the next step. Contact him and threaten to expose him on adverts?

He'll just close his account and open a new one.
    Better off trying to reschedule with him.

He'll just close his account and open a new one.
    Better off trying to reschedule with him.

The cnut is ignoring my requests to meet again:(:mad:

The cnut is ignoring my requests to meet again:(:mad:

Do the same thing as suggested he would do, another account another phone number and if possible have a woman speak to him on the phone ;)

Oh and please to do not go alone to meet this scum.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 compnetgreg

18 January near Church road (Mulhuddart D15)a 16-year-old boy was attacked at 14:30 by a group of strangers to steal a bike.
    Gaint Talon 3 29er XL size bike was stolen.
    Be careful and attentive when buying bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭dermabrasion

BTW I rang the guards and told them about the bike being on sale on adverts having previously reported it and they said because I didn't record the serial number there was nothing they could do about it.

It's be nice to be able to call in a private pipe-hitting ex-special forces security team to follow up on leads when the Gardai couldn't be arsed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

It's be nice to be able to call in a private pipe-hitting ex-special forces security team to follow up on leads when the Gardai couldn't be arsed.

Without the serial number how can the guards tell it was the OPs. Even a picture is unlikely to be enough as most bikes are generic enough.

OP, when you're back in contact them again, haggle the price, don't appear too eager. Pretend you're buying it for real, how would you act?

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭dermabrasion

I had a bike recovered by the Guards, I made a affidavit to describe distinguishing marks and alterations I made on the bike. I also described them in court when the prosecuted the thief. So, I don't buy the argument 'there nothing we can do'.
    A colleague of mine had the exact same thing happen, where she saw her bike up on done deal. In that case, AGS arranged a sting, and the bike was recovered and the thief arrested.

18 January near Church road....
    Church Road? Practically every town and village in the country has a 'Church Road'. Might be better to specify the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 compnetgreg

Church Road? Practically every town and village in the country has a 'Church Road'. Might be better to specify the area.

Mulhuddart D15, bridge on Church road

Cheers folks for all the comments.I have practically given up all hope of getting the bike back. I am going to source a replacement. I messaged the seller to tell him it was my stolen bike he was selling and sure he just denied it as he would. I was hoping he would have a conscience and give it back before I reported it to the Gardai:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

So they arranged a sting and got bikes back separately for you and your friend. I think you may be contradicting yourself there somewhat

Advertisement