Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dromroe for a first year?

Options
  • 27-01-2018 9:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

So I’m planning to go to UL in September if I get my course😬 I’m just wondering what dromroe village is like for a first year student? I don’t plan on going out a lot I do enjoy the occasional night out so just wondering what’s it like partywise (if any) and of many first years stay in Dromroe?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Anonymagician

First years stay everywhere these days and no matter what on campus village you get (if you get one) you will only be living with other first years. It's what you make of it, there's not going to be as many big parties as Kilmurry or College Court but there will be plenty of first years and parties will be there if you want them, easily avoidable if you don't!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Staceyx

First years stay everywhere these days and no matter what on campus village you get (if you get one) you will only be living with other first years. It's what you make of it, there's not going to be as many big parties as Kilmurry or College Court but there will be plenty of first years and parties will be there if you want them, easily avoidable if you don't!

Thanks so much!☺️ I really hope I get Dromroe just because it looks pretty close to the languages building where I’ll most likely be spending most of my time because of my course. Is t likely that I’ll get on campus accommodation if I apply as soon as it’s open? Or does it seem to fill up super quick?

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭VanishingActs

Dromroe is good for what you're looking for, I think. Be ready to apply online the second the applications open because they fill up VERY quickly. It gets harder to get every year.

Wouldn't be too concerned over what's closest to the languages building. I did languages but most of my classes were in other buildings anyway, and it's not a huge campus.

Dromroe is good for what you're looking for, I think. Be ready to apply online the second the applications open because they fill up VERY quickly. It gets harder to get every year.

Wouldn't be too concerned over what's closest to the languages building. I did languages but most of my classes were in other buildings anyway, and it's not a huge campus.

Thank you! Yeah I plan on doing it as soon as they make it available. Do they announce it a day or two in advance or the morning of? Just so I know to be alert. Ahh that’s fair enough, I was researching the other villages and Dromroe looks the most appealing to me. I really hope I get it. If not though, what harm!
    What course do you do btw?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Just to back up what others have said, Dromroe is a nice middle ground between parties and actually being a nice place to live. It's a fairly mixed crowd, with a good spread across most years, but you'll more than likely be living with five other first years.

In terms of being close to lectures, you can't get closer to most of the buildings on campus than Dromroe. Cappavilla is closest to the Health Science and World Academy buildings, but everything else is closest to Dromroe. The Languages Building is literally a 2-3 minute walk away from Dromroe, and realistically everything else is within 5 minutes.

And for applications, you'll literally need to be applying the second it opens up. It fills up insanely quickly, and gets quicker every year given the strain Limerick accommodation is under at the moment. If you apply and it's already full, you'll go on a waiting list and may still get a spot if people drop out.

• Advertisement

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Just to back up what others have said, Dromroe is a nice middle ground between parties and actually being a nice place to live. It's a fairly mixed crowd, with a good spread across most years, but you'll more than likely be living with five other first years.

In terms of being close to lectures, you can't get closer to most of the buildings on campus than Dromroe. Cappavilla is closest to the Health Science and World Academy buildings, but everything else is closest to Dromroe. The Languages Building is literally a 2-3 minute walk away from Dromroe, and realistically everything else is within 5 minutes.

And for applications, you'll literally need to be applying the second it opens up. It fills up insanely quickly, and gets quicker every year given the strain Limerick accommodation is under at the moment. If you apply and it's already full, you'll go on a waiting list and may still get a spot if people drop out.

Thanks so much for your help! I really do hope I get Dromroe. It sounds quite ideal for what I’m looking for. I saw on fb that Campus Life Services posted saying that applications will be open for 3 weeks and after he closing date rooms will be given out on a lottery basis. What exactly does this mean?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Staceyx wrote: »
    Thanks so much for your help! I really do hope I get Dromroe. It sounds quite ideal for what I’m looking for. I saw on fb that Campus Life Services posted saying that applications will be open for 3 weeks and after he closing date rooms will be given out on a lottery basis. What exactly does this mean?

Oh... that sounds... bad.

If I'm interpreting that correctly, then basically what they're going to do is allow as many people apply in the three weeks as want to, then allocate rooms randomly. So essentially if you apply on Day 1 or Day 21 of the application period, you have equal chance of being allocated a room.

Now, to be clear, I'm just going off your post, so I could be wrong, but that's what it would seem like to me...

I suppose in a way it's fairer, but it's also going to cause a lot of people a lot o stress as they wait...

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭VanishingActs

Just looked at the FB post and yeah that seems to be exactly what they are doing. First year applications will be a lottery. Current students will be first come first served. That's a first!
    For incoming first years, the application process will be open for three weeks and rooms will be offered on a lottery basis after the closing date.

For senior students and current residents, bookings will be on a first come first serve basis.

So basically if you’re applying and you’re going to be a first year next year it doesn’t matter whether you’re one of the first to apply, they’ll just be choosing at random?

Oh... that sounds... bad.

If I'm interpreting that correctly, then basically what they're going to do is allow as many people apply in the three weeks as want to, then allocate rooms randomly. So essentially if you apply on Day 1 or Day 21 of the application period, you have equal chance of being allocated a room.

Now, to be clear, I'm just going off your post, so I could be wrong, but that's what it would seem like to me...

I suppose in a way it's fairer, but it's also going to cause a lot of people a lot o stress as they wait...

Ah yes I was thinking that myself. It’s good in way because I was afraid in case it’d be open sometime next week while I have my mocks and the rooms would be gone in a flash. But then again if you’re one of the first, you’re not guaranteed it. Ugh. I’ll have to wait patiently and see haha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 Clopal

WHats kilmurry like to live? Are there many first years there and as is it a good place to go in first year

Clopal wrote: »
    WHats kilmurry like to live? Are there many first years there and as is it a good place to go in first year

More of a concentration of first years in Kilmurry than Dromroe. More of a party place.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Clopal

More of a concentration of first years in Kilmurry than Dromroe. More of a party place.

And what is Plassey Village like??

Clopal wrote: »
    And what is Plassey Village like??

As far as I'm aware, majority first years with a smattering of Internationals.

Kilmurry and Plassey would be the two "party villages". Dromroe and Thomond would be middle ground villages, and Cappavilla would be on the quieter end of the scale.

Advertisement