Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Surprising Replacement Parts Needed!

Options
  • 27-01-2018 4:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,203 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Some of you may have seen my thread not too long ago about losing my passion for cycling, a lot of you had some uplifting things to say. I was out on the bike the other day and for the first time in over a year it wasn't just for commuting but for leisure.

I was really enjoying it and for once the weather was decent. Then my chain came off the chainring. I tried shifting it back up which is probably a bad idea and it didn't go back on so I pulled over to my surprise, the frame protection (a small, rectangular piece of metal) had folded and was in the way of the chainring bolts, luckily it was possible to get home.

Brought the bike in to have the plate repaired, the gears sorted and the wheels trued as they were a tiny bit off.

Got a call today to say I need a new front tyre, headset, casette, chain and that the rear hub bearings are gone too. On a 1 year old bike with just under 2,000km on it?

I know there's no set rule about when to replace a chain but a lot of people would suggest around 2,500km. I usually replace them at 2,000km but apparently this chain is very badly worn and as a result I need a new cassette too.

Regarding the headset, it's a Canyon Endurace CF 7.0 and it's integrated so I'll have to contact them about it. I honestly don't know how that one will work out. I always have mudguards on the bike and don't pressure wash it so I don't see how it's worn out so soon? It's a 1.5" to 1.25" fork and a very awkward size.

As far as the wheels go, I guess that's my fault as I've never maintained any wheels before. They're Campag Zonda so I guess I should have paid closer attention to maintenance?

Am I right in being a little surprised that my bike is apparently in such poor condition especially after 2,000km? I'm no novice to bike maintenance. Sure I wouldn't wash it after every single Winter ride but I'd replace the chain, pads, bottom bracket, tyres etc when needed. Keep the drivetrain degreased, clean and lubricated.

Any thoughts on this? :(

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,520 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

there are others with a hell of a lot more knowledge than me here - but i find it bizarre that a cassette would wear out within 2k km, and i'd expect more from a chain too, but that would be with a reasonable lubrication regime. dunno how long one would last if neglected. i replaced mine most recently after about 4k or 5k, and that was with my chain wear tool indicating wear of between .75 and 1
    my bike has 6k on it, still has the original tyres (and in my limited experience, you should expect the rear to wear faster, rather than the front one - so that's a little odd too, if the reason for replacement is down to wear)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Regarding the headset, it's a Canyon Endurace CF 7.0 and it's integrated so I'll have to contact them about it. I honestly don't know how that one will work out. I always have mudguards on the bike and don't pressure wash it so I don't see how it's worn out so soon? It's a 1.5" to 1.25" fork and a very awkward size.

I'm not 100% but I believe there is a known issue with headset bearing degrading after small km's on this model. I'm sure someone will confirm or deny this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,203 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

The front tyre has a bulge so I suppose that doesn't really count but still bad timing. I must get a chain wear tool. Having to spend out €40 on another cassette is such a waste of money and makes the cost of repairs needlessly go up. I must look into servicing/replacing the wheel hub too if it's something that will need to be done more than once a year.

Regarding the headset, I doesn't come off the frame so I'm assuming there's a special tool for replacing it? As far as I know Canyon want £60 for a replacement part but considering I use mudguards, should a headset really crap out after just 2,000km?

€60 for the initial adjustments, another €110 or so for cassette, chain, wear tool and tyre. Never mind the costs for the headset and the wheel hub. I don't think I've ever needed to spend so much money getting a bike fixed up :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭easygoing39

In those 2000km how many times was the chain removed,properly washed,dried,oiled and refitted??

• Registered Users Posts: 23,322 ✭✭✭✭ted1

In those 2000km how many times was the chain removed,properly washed,dried,oiled and refitted??
    Very few people would actually remove a chain.

Tyres can go, I had one hibafter just 2km, broke Hard and ripped the rubber of the threads.

2,000 is just under 7 weeks riding for me. I certainly wouldn’t replace those parts after just 7 weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mr. Grieves

I hope never, as that's completely unnecessary.

OP, were you able to check the wear on the old chain after you got the bike back? I wouldn't replace the cassette unless the new chain skipped, were you able to check this?

I hope never, as that's completely unnecessary.

OP, were you able to check the wear on the old chain after you got the bike back? I wouldn't replace the cassette unless the new chain skipped, were you able to check this?

Nothing has been replaced yet, I'll be picking up the bike on Wednesday along with a chain wear tool to have a look myself. I just find it hard to believe the cassette needs replacing considering how they've lasted me on my previous bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Plastik

Got a call today to say I need a new front tyre, headset, casette, chain and that the rear hub bearings are gone too. On a 1 year old bike with just under 2,000km on it?

I know there's no set rule about when to replace a chain but a lot of people would suggest around 2,500km. I usually replace them at 2,000km but apparently this chain is very badly worn and as a result I need a new cassette too.

As far as the wheels go, I guess that's my fault as I've never maintained any wheels before. They're Campag Zonda so I guess I should have paid closer attention to maintenance?

Front tyre - can incur a replaceable fault at any time. I once got less than 50km out of a GP4000S when it was damaged in a crash.

Cassette & Chain needing replacing with less than 2,000km - impossible. I am doing close to 20,000km per year on the bike. 300-500km per week depending on the time of year. I would generally clock up about 5,000km per chain and 15,000km per cassette.

Rear hub bearings - again, a bit of a how long is a piece of string question. 2k km is very short though. I had had wheels last 10k km plus on their original bearings, and that would be all weather use through the depths of winter and a savage amount of salt and crud on the roads.

As mentioned previously, never hopefully, complete overkill.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

Is it the rear hub bearings or the freehub that they are saying is gone? In either case 2,000km seems extremely low mileage but particularly for the hub bearings, I've had bad luck with some freehubs in the past and had to replace them early but that is very much the exception though so I'd expect a freehub to last a lot longer than that too.

For the headset, they generally tend to last a very long time but again you could be unlucky. If it was "tightened too much" that would certainly shorten its lifespan - to achieve that on most modern/threadless headsets you'd have to have a lot of pressure on it from the stem, so unless you tightened things too much yourself at some point or it came badly adjusted from Canyon, I'd question why it needs replacing. To be honest, it moves so little that the bearings could be completely shot and you could still use it for a long time yet by adjusting it and living with some roughness in it (very little though, if adjusted well), plus replacing the bearings is usually enough anyway, so I'd have to wonder what is wrong with it that a brand new headset is required.

Wheels needing truing is another surprise, any half decent wheels should not need truing within a year. I've never used Zondas, so perhaps they're known for being poorly built, but I'd expect better of Campag wheels.

And I'd agree with others too re the chain and cassette, 2,000km is extremely low mileage there too. If you never looked after the chain that wouldn't help of course, and if you tend to cross-chain while riding that'll shorten the chain life too, riding mainly in high gears at low cadence (i.e. "mashing") adds wear and tear, etc., but I'd expect it would require a number of factors like that to kill a chain to the point that both it and the cassette need replacing that quickly.

It's certainly not impossible that the bike shop is correct, but it just seems unlikely.

Hi all,

It's been a while but I thought I'd post an update. Picked up a chain from the bike shop only to realise it was an Ultegra one incorrectly labelled as €25 so had to go back with it. Didn't notice the cost as I was paying for a service also. Picked up a replacement Marathon Plus as an online collect order before work and got home to notice it was a regular Marathon. Refunded it yesterday and decided to just buy one online from Rose for €15 less including shipping. Guys on the workshop tills are a bit ignorant too. Probably time to consider a new bike shop...

I've attached a picture of the cassette below. Looking around on the internet and a lot of people say there's no sure indicator it's worn. People either say they'll replace it after X amount of chains or when it starts slipping. Haven't been on the bike with the new chain but I can't see it slipping.
    doozerie wrote: »
    Is it the rear hub bearings or the freehub that they are saying is gone? In either case 2,000km seems extremely low mileage but particularly for the hub bearings, I've had bad luck with some freehubs in the past and had to replace them early but that is very much the exception though so I'd expect a freehub to last a lot longer than that too.

For the headset, they generally tend to last a very long time but again you could be unlucky. If it was "tightened too much" that would certainly shorten its lifespan - to achieve that on most modern/threadless headsets you'd have to have a lot of pressure on it from the stem, so unless you tightened things too much yourself at some point or it came badly adjusted from Canyon, I'd question why it needs replacing. To be honest, it moves so little that the bearings could be completely shot and you could still use it for a long time yet by adjusting it and living with some roughness in it (very little though, if adjusted well), plus replacing the bearings is usually enough anyway, so I'd have to wonder what is wrong with it that a brand new headset is required.

Wheels needing truing is another surprise, any half decent wheels should not need truing within a year. I've never used Zondas, so perhaps they're known for being poorly built, but I'd expect better of Campag wheels.

And I'd agree with others too re the chain and cassette, 2,000km is extremely low mileage there too. If you never looked after the chain that wouldn't help of course, and if you tend to cross-chain while riding that'll shorten the chain life too, riding mainly in high gears at low cadence (i.e. "mashing") adds wear and tear, etc., but I'd expect it would require a number of factors like that to kill a chain to the point that both it and the cassette need replacing that quickly.

It's certainly not impossible that the bike shop is correct, but it just seems unlikely.

I believe it's the rear hub that they're talking about. I believe the Zonda wheel bearings aren't fully sealed or something. Regarding the headset being too tight I use a torque wrench to tighten it all and I usually go a little under the torque limit so I'd be surprised. As the bike is only a year old worst case scenario there'd only be a handful of times a mudguard may not have been on it in the wet. I know on my last bike the headset was completely shot but kept it going for a while. I can't get this headset out to clean or re grease it as it's integrated. I might contact Canyon about a replacement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭letape

That cassette certainly looks good to me. Unless there is some damage to individual teeth, I couldn’t imagine why it would be replaced.

If you live anywhere near Bray or Greystones I’d be happy to have a look at the Zonda ready hub/ freehub. All Campag Wheels from Zondas up use the same hub design and parts and I’m very familiar with them. I suspect there is some play in the bearings and the axle nut on the non-drive side just needs to be adjusted. Either way it’s a very easy hub to disassemble, clean, re-grease and re-assemble.

letape wrote: »
    That cassette certainly looks good to me. Unless there is some damage to individual teeth, I couldn’t imagine why it would be replaced.

If you live anywhere near Bray or Greystones I’d be happy to have a look at the Zonda ready hub/ freehub. All Campag Wheels from Zondas up use the same hub design and parts and I’m very familiar with them. I suspect there is some play in the bearings and the axle nut on the non-drive side just needs to be adjusted. Either way it’s a very easy hub to disassemble, clean, re-grease and re-assemble.

Over in Lucan unfortunately, I've seen the manuals for the hubs. Seems pretty straight forward so I'll just double check what tools I might need to get and have a try myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭letape

Over in Lucan unfortunately, I've seen the manuals for the hubs. Seems pretty straight forward so I'll just double check what tools I might need to get and have a try myself!

Just 3mm and 5mm (2) Allen keys and a 17mm spanner, if you want to remove the freehub!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

You have the standard version of the Acros unit and bearings. The more expensive Ultimate and Endurace models have the thinner bearings which have caused some issues.

Its possible to bust that Acros unit if your not familiar with the set up. Either way it is surprising that they would need replacing after that distance.

If its just the bearings you need (and the Acros unit is fine) you can save yourself some money and pick those up a lot cheaper elsewhere. I've sourced mine over in E Fox Engineering in Baldonnell.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Al Wright

Regarding the cassette, its difficult to tell from the photograph, but the smallest (top gear) sprocket appears to have significant wear, the U between teeth is more vertical on the bearing (right) surface. (on a badly worn sprocket it would give the appearance of the teeth being hooked backwards).
    If the chain hasn't stretched more than 1/16 inch over a 12 inch length, it is still ok,
    otherwise there is risk of accelerated wear on groupset chain-wheels

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭rayman1

That cassette looks good. I just checked on Strava and I got 12,600km and 10,000km out of my last 2 cassettes.
    I usually get about 6,000km from a chain.
    I changed my headset bearings after 26,000km. The headset was working fine even if bottom headset bearing was in a bad state. Should have changed it sooner. Bike is a 2013 Giant Defy Advanced 1.

Al Wright wrote: »
    Regarding the cassette, its difficult to tell from the photograph, but the smallest (top gear) sprocket appears to have significant wear, the U between teeth is more vertical on the bearing (right) surface. (on a badly worn sprocket it would give the appearance of the teeth being hooked backwards).
    If the chain hasn't stretched more than 1/16 inch over a 12 inch length, it is still ok,
    otherwise there is risk of accelerated wear on groupset chain-wheels

I think that may be the design of the cassette? As much as I'd like to take credit for it, I'd rarely be in the 11th gear! I don't know to what extent the chain stretched. Bike shop didn't have a chain tool in the workshop to show me and they conveniently didn't have a €10 chain tool in stock and my arse was I buying a €30 one.

Advertisement