Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tubular tape lifespan

Options
  • 27-01-2018 11:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭

Hi all,
    I currently race on a set of tubulars which were taped on using tub tape in January of 2016 (2 years ago). I have only done approx 1000km on the wheels since then but I am just wondering if I should be worried that the tub tape might have lost some of its strength?

The tyres look and feel fine but I am concerned that the glue on the tub tape may have dried out over time. Last thing I want to do is roll a tubular in the first race of the season!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

It should be fine, I don't think there is an expiration date on the glue, it depends if you have cycled in very wet days. You can test them by overinflating the tyres, then put all your weight on wheel and try very carefully to roll out the tyre from the side. If it doesn't bulge I wouldnt worry. If its too wobbly you might want to change the tape. Tape is cheap and fast to redo, so always play it safe.

Advertisement