Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commute from Blackrock to IFSC

Options
  • 26-01-2018 11:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭

Hi all,
    I'm wondering of anyone here has experience of cycling from around Blackrock to the IFSC? I'm starting there next week, and want to cycle it. Start around 8:30, finish at 5:15. Any particular route that is advised/areas to be especially careful/areas to avoid altogether? I cycled to college everyday and for summer jobs in town aswell. Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,365 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

my commute covers some of what you'd be doing in, but in the reverse direction - in the mornings, i cross the east link and head for leopardstown.
    i go east link - strand road - merrion gates - blackrock - newtownpark avenue, and up to leopardstown, and once you get clear of the east link, it's fine.
    but you'd also have the option of - inbound - going via ballsbridge or continuing through ringsend and down pearse street. but i reckon there'd be some benefit, in the mornings, to crossing the east link, in that once you took a left off it, you don't have to worry about traffic on your left.

edit: worth mentioning that i cross the east link in the mornings just after 7, and go through the tolls - traffic is usually reasonable - but in the evenings, i go into ringsend, and take a right at the church, and drop onto the east link via the pedestrian path.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,825 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

I find heading straight in grand, up the rock road, into town by Merrion Square and Pearse St dart station, up Tara st and across to the IFSC.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,743 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

This is the route I use (& Google recommend too)

https://goo.gl/maps/Lpt5Qj832ks

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭andymann

loyatemu wrote: »
    This is the route I use (& Google recommend too)

https://goo.gl/maps/Lpt5Qj832ks

Thanks for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,270 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I do Killiney to the airport via the east link , the rock roads bike lane is a bit dodgy with regards pot holes. Keep to the centre of the bus lane. At Tara towers there’s no bus or buke Lane. Sometimes it’s safer to go down between two lanes rather than the side of the road. I go over Merrion Gate straight last Renault garage , through Irish town , right at the church and on ivervthe east link , if you by the point go this way if your up further then probably best head towards the RDS and go that way.

• Advertisement
Advertisement