Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cyclist killed in Donegal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Sad news.

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭letape

Very sad. RIP.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

RIP

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,361 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Terrible news. RIP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,010 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

I know those roads, and know many who cycle around them. Ive a terrible feeling in the gut.

Rip.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

I always hate seeing these threads, but I fear it will be another bad year for these.

RIP

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,824 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Sinking feeling :( R.I.P.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Glass Prison 1214

Awful news. RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,215 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Really thought we were going to get an incident free month! �� RIP

• Advertisement

RIP that poor man, thoughts are with the other cyclist too they have a hard road ahead :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

RIP Noel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

RIP

No second cyclist involved.

Should say that I got a call too (am from the area) and told the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,956 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

RIP Noel.
    My mother just telephoned me a while ago with this news. We were former neighbours. RIP

RIP

No second cyclist involved.

Good to hear, some of the reports mentioned a second cyclist.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭ratracer

RIP to that man, and condolences to his family and friends.
    When I read this today it reminded me to contact my TD’s re the introduction of MPDL, which I did tonight. I would encourage all who haven’t already done so to please do it now, let’s try protect ourselves out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,118 ✭✭✭nilhg

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 14,292 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Sick feeling, know those files very well rip

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

My mother just telephoned me a while ago with this news. We were former neighbours. RIP

Thats desperate news WA. RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

ratracer wrote: »
    RIP to that man, and condolences to his family and friends.
    When I read this today it reminded me to contact my TD’s re the introduction of MPDL, which I did tonight. I would encourage all who haven’t already done so to please do it now, let’s try protect ourselves out there.

What's MPDL?

I just saw the thread & wanted to find out more about the accident in Gortahork,
    RIP to another cyclist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Taurig

Rip
    Really bad news. I was back on the bike yesterday for the first time in a few weeks thanks to Christmas and illness etc and it just felt great to be on 2 wheels again. Then hear about this and start to wonder whether it's worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭ratracer

What's MPDL?

I just saw the thread & wanted to find out more about the accident in Gortahork,
    RIP to another cyclist.

Not to derail this thread, but have a look here: http://www.dublincycling.com/cycling/minimum-passing-distance-law-urgent

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭531

What's MPDL?

RIP to another cyclist.

MPDL is Minimum Passing Distance Law

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭onmebike

RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭spoke2cun

I'm from the area too and cycled that road shortly before the accident. I felt sick all evening. MPDL is all well and good but once again enforcing it is the problem. The attitude of drivers has to change drastically too. Needs to start at home, continue through primary and secondary school. Then it has to become part of your driver training/lessons and a big part of a driving test should be road safety. Passing your test cos you can reverse around a kerb or do a 3 point turn is a joke. Parts of the test should also take place on unmarked country roads. I meet 'drivers' all the time on what we call the Muckish road. They fly along as if there's no one else on the road. They've no idea about road positioning. Crawling along the marked lanes in Letterkenny is one thing but all that goes out the window the minute they turn right off the Glenveagh to Dunlewey road and head towards the coast.

There's also parents out there who know that their son is a boy racer and do fu*k all about it. They might even be stupid enough to buy him a car and insurance and get him on the road at 17! Far too young and stupid, 21 and a full licence must become the law.

And speaking of the law, if (and it is a big if) a driver is caught breaking the MPDL, then he/she should be punished severely, because they are putting lives at risk. They're not caught for doing 52 KM/H in a 50 zone, they're putting lives at risk. 4 penalty points and a €500 fine minimum. It would send a strong message out there.

I think all cycling clubs should hold a meeting in every county ASAP and get this sorted once and for all. There would need to be in attendance a cycling Ireland representative, a garda, RSA rep, and members of the media who must due their duty to the public and make them aware that this type of attitude towards cyclists will no longer be tolerated and will be severely punished.
    What has happened has made me think long and hard about what roads I'll cycle from now on and at what times. We're lucky to have so many back roads and bog roads here in Donegal and hopefully this new greenway will get finished soon.
    RIP to that gentleman and God help his family.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,361 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

folks - can we keep this thread to condolences; any discussion of the MPDL or campaigning probably best belongs in the threads already in place. thanks - i know it's an emotive subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

I'd heard today, he'd only set off from his house & wasn't far away when it happened!
    Very sad :(

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭coastwatch

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭gambeta_fc

A gentleman to the core.

Went out of his way on so many occasions to welcome me to cycling and look out for me, always with a smile on his face and a story to tell.

There was nobody I'd rather be on the road with, a gem of a man and an absolute pleasure to know.

Deepest condolences to his family and friends.

Rest well Noel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Not that one

Noel was involved in running cycling camps for junior riders (age 4 - 10) at Glenveagh national park earlier this year with his club and seemed a natural coach - kind, smart, smiling and encouraging - a real gent.
    Putting time back into his sport for others says it all about him.
    There was no glory or personal gain to be gotton out in the midges but that was his style.
    A real good guy.
    RIP.

Advertisement