Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CO2 Inflator. What is best tech now?

Options
  • 26-01-2018 6:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

I had to transport my bike in a bus cargo hold yesterday and took off front wheel. At destination found my front mudguard had been pushed out of shape & my tire sticking. The guard plate is attached between brake caliper and fork so left off the fix til home. In meantime needed to get around for about 11km, so deflated. At last leg of journey was carrying additional 12kg and had to reinflate a bit as could hear tire flattening. I went for CO2 1st and got part way only, most of the CO2 went other than in the tire. After fitting it textbook I realized inflator is a cheap piece of crap. Used my mini-pump which added a few more mouse breaths (this at 8pm, wet, side of road, in summer have used it to get home but winter a grit test it just failed). I had to contort all way home to keep my weight off the front end to protect my Conti 4. 
    So am going to leave the pump at home and go for the best inflator I can get & just carry 2 canisters in future. I have had a good look at reviews and do not feel informed enough to make a clear decision. Am hoping there is better tech around than 5years ago on this forum?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

I've been using an Aldi inflator for years and so far it's never let me down. Probably only used a couple of dozen times on mine and others wheels. I did have one of the fancy push on ones but that ended up sticking and letting all the Co2 out once the canister was pierced and a long way from anywhere. PITA :(

My advice would be to go for a screw on inflator as opposed to a push on type. The only benefit to the push on is speed and unless you're racing it's of no benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Was that night on the roadside the first time you'd used Co2?

Not practicing at home in the garden with them is the biggest mistake people make.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

My tip is to inflate the tube a bit with a mini pump ( to ensure the tube is seated correctly) and use CO to inflate it to the desired pressure.

I put the nozzle on the valve first, then screw in the canister, so the once the air starts flowing, it goes straight into the tyre.

Don't unscrew the canister! ( unless your sure it's empty) pull the nozzle off the valve carefully, as the valve gets very cold and can snap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭clog

I've had one of these for the last few years and its been perfect. I had a much more expensive push on type fail on me before I got it.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/lifeline-cnc-co2-inflator-thread-on-valve-head-aw17/rp-prod165265

• Registered Users Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭jamesd

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

This is the easiest one to use-you would have to be stupid to mess it up-I have 4 others, they all work different, and have cost me a cannister at some point as I forgot to screw or unscrew something at some point in the process-this one is a no brainer-even if you are bonking, freezing, wet, hungry, tired, this is easy peasy...

http://www.halfords.ie/cycling/bike-maintenance/bike-pumps/jetvalve-co2-injector

• Registered Users Posts: 30 kevingonewest

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    I've been using an Aldi inflator for years and so far it's never let me down. Probably only used a couple of dozen times on mine and others wheels. I did have one of the fancy push on ones but that ended up sticking and letting all the Co2 out once the canister was pierced and a long way from anywhere. PITA :(

My advice would be to go for a screw on inflator as opposed to a push on type. The only benefit to the push on is speed and unless you're racing it's of no benefit.
    ED E wrote: »
    Was that night on the roadside the first time you'd used Co2?

Not practicing at home in the garden with them is the biggest mistake people make.
    I reckon I do need more practice and I had only used CO2 in daylight in the dry before. So maybe equipment was less to blame than I thought. One thing that bothered me was that I could not clearly see which way to turn the valve on so a push version would help there but if your hand slips the connection is more easily lost. I am looking at the suggested inflators above, thanks, and at the Lezyne Trigger Drive which screws to tube valve but then puts CO2 in by push/release action.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 kevingonewest

Looked at all the options and in the end just could not go along with using the mix of 2 compromised systems, limited use of CO2 & a mouse breath power mini-pump. Just looking at them in my kit for the day left Me feeling deflated. Plus there was hard to ignore one-off one use of a steel capsule that is not recyclable to my knowledge and all just to provide air to my tire? Part of the reason I cycle is to get away from complexity and selfish materialism. So went back to look at what the best hand pump tech had to offer, apparently a Topeak Morph G. Bought, used to 100psi in 2 min easy, looks ok on bike & I'm done.

Looked at all the options and in the end just could not go along with using the mix of 2 compromised systems, limited use of CO2 & a mouse breath power mini-pump. Just looking at them in my kit for the day left Me feeling deflated. Plus there was hard to ignore one-off one use of a steel capsule that is not recyclable to my knowledge and all just to provide air to my tire? Part of the reason I cycle is to get away from complexity and selfish materialism. So went back to look at what the best hand pump tech had to offer, apparently a Topeak Morph G. Bought, used to 100psi in 2 min easy, looks ok on bike & I'm done.

A good chance you might be over thinking things it good to hear you're sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,324 ✭✭✭✭ted1

What’s the advantage of CO2 overs mini pump? Am I missing something, or have I been using a mini pump all along like a fool ?

• Advertisement

ted1 wrote: »
    What’s the advantage of CO2 overs mini pump? Am I missing something, or have I been using a mini pump all along like a fool ?

No big advantage other than ease of use and speed there's probably more disadvantages to using Co2 only. A good pump will do an equally good job the mini pumps can struggle to reach high psi or the users get tired/bored of trying. I only use co2 when out or a ride and have felt the disadvantages. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭cython

They're very handy for commuting when you may not be able to spend 5-10 additional mins on the roadside trying to get high pressure back into the tyre if you have to be in work and the puncture already has you a little late. Also a nice to have in real foul weather when you equally just want to get done and out of it ASAP, and not spend time on the side of the road with a mini pump.

That said, would never go out with only CO2, as even while I bring 2 of them and only 2 tubes, there's too much chance of discharging it accidentally, and the pump is a nice fall back. Also more comfortable putting the initial bit of air in the tube with a pump!

115 PSI with a mini pump? Feck that fiddling around. C02 is king.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I have a CO2 inflator but would not go without my mini pump, hits 80 to 100psi without much effort, Won't fail me, won't freeze the valve to itself and screw it out.

CO2 is handy but if you have a puncture, you may have two, a mini pump is king if getting home is your main aim. CO2 is handy and has its uses but should never be the fall back.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,324 ✭✭✭✭ted1

ED E wrote: »
    115 PSI with a mini pump? Feck that fiddling around. C02 is king.
    Honestly it takes less than two minutes to get to 100PSI which is enough to get you back home where you cab use a track pump.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

ted1 wrote: »
    Honestly it takes less than two minutes to get to 100PSI which is enough to get you back home where you cab use a track pump.
    Pretend your a teenager again and you think you hear someone heading towards your room, just get the job done ASAP

CramCycle wrote: »
    I have a CO2 inflator but would not go without my mini pump, hits 80 to 100psi without much effort, Won't fail me, won't freeze the valve to itself and screw it out.

CO2 is handy but if you have a puncture, you may have two, a mini pump is king if getting home is your main aim. CO2 is handy and has its uses but should never be the fall back.

I carry two capsules and two tubes. If I get to the point where I need a third IMO its too late and the gods have already decided today is a call in the cavalry day.

Get an inflator with a valve. Saves accidents.

s-l500.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I carry two tubes and three O2 cartridges, and no pump.
    I've had to summon the cavalry once in the past ten years.
    And that was because I punctured three times.
    I hate talking about punctures.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

One pump = infinite cartridges

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I haven’t read all the replies so possibly repeating what’s been already said. Inflate the tube using the mini pump and then attach the CO head without the cartridge. Then screw in the cartridge and inflate the tyre.

If your using non threaded cartridge then I’d suggest getting a CO inflator that takes threaded cartridges.

I tested a 16g cartridge in a totally deflated tyre/tube and it inflated the 23mm tyre to approx 92psi so probably around 85psi for a 25mm tyre and mid 70’s for a 28mm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I haven’t read all the replies so possibly repeating what’s been already said. Inflate the tube using the mini pump and then attach the CO head without the cartridge. Then screw in the cartridge and inflate the tyre.

If your using non threaded cartridge then I’d suggest getting a CO inflator that takes threaded cartridges.

I tested a 16g cartridge in a totally deflated tyre/tube and it inflated the 23mm tyre to approx 92psi so probably around 85psi for a 25mm tyre and mid 70’s for a 28mm.

I've done the same test. I got about 108-110psi from a 16g cartridge with a 23mm tyre.

Advertisement