Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ethical

Options
  • 26-01-2018 1:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,376 ✭✭✭✭

Is a pro choice but not pro abortion a ridiculous position to have ethically.

The vast majority of people I am know have the position that.

Its free choice and they would not dream of interfering with other people choices, but they themselves say they wouldn't do it themselves.

In other words pro choice and anti abortion at the same time.

Maybe its just pragmatic.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

That's me. I'm pro choice, but wouldn't dream of having an abortion myself.

Then again, I'm a fella.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,237 ✭✭✭✭endacl

We live in a binary world. This is to facilitate the hard of thinking, and to accommodate the concise sound bite.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,026 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Were none of the many abortion threads already on the go good enough for this pearl of wisdom, OP? :rolleyes:

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

"Pro abortion" means that you believe every pregnancy should be aborted.

It's not a position that anyone holds, except for few niches lunatics who are "pro abortion" because they're racist or extreme misanthropes.

"Anti abortion" means you believe that abortion should never be used.

So you're right that it's possible to be pro-choice and anti-abortion at the same time, but "anti" is a very hard line to put oneself on. It almost assumes that you will regard someone negatively for having an abortion.

You can still dislike abortion and view it idealistically as something that should never have to be used, while acknowledging the reality that some people will have to get one and not judge them negatively for it.

But that's really hard to get into a two-phrase soundbite.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Were none of the many abortion threads already on the go good enough for this pearl of wisdom, OP? :rolleyes:

I agree with you on this so OP post in one of the existing threads as I am closing this one.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement