Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crystal Meth in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

It just takes one person to flood the streets with a batch to get things going. So far it has only really been done on a microscale.

The country's with problems like America and Australia have massive outbacks of land to set up meth labs, not really the case in Ireland. Unless one wealthy drug dealer with a bit of rural land wants to take it by the horns and produce on a large scale.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Interesting after yesterday's discovery.

What was that -sorry!? Only just been watching documentaries on this on youtube -shocking stories about whole towns literally destroyed -often mining and manufacturing industry based towns where back pain and validly perscribed persecription drugs literally set 'normal' people off into surreal lives of crime and addiction and suicide. A friend of mine here in Dublin works in social work with homeless & they were diagnosed with cancer & perscribed opiates for post surgery pain (they hsd organs removed -serious body opening & horrendous pain) . They sat in agony for months and refused to take them because of the amount of people in Ireland they work with who are totally addicted to them. Shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Can't see the Heroin Dealers Association of Ireland letting this happen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Rory28

We need competition to keep things fair. Heroin has had a monopoly on junkies for too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

I can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

They'll just have to diversify. Don't they realise this is the 21st century?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

They'll expand into that market. Crystal Meth is a horrible, horrible drug. It's nastier than heroin. Used to see meth addicts in the states and they were in a dreadful state. They'd stand beside you and you could hear their teeth chattering, 'meth teeth', one of the many side effects of it. It'll take the drug problem here to another level.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

Is mise an baol!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's less popular over here for a number of reasons. Main one is that it's hard to get the materials to produce it. In the US you could go in and just clear a drug store's shelves of the drugs you needed until they changed the rules.

Then production moved to Mexico and just jumps over the border.

In Ireland and Europe as a whole it's harder to get your hands on large quantities of the chemicals needed to cook it, and Ireland in particular doesn't have anywhere close by that it's easy to smuggle it from.

The end result is that it's expensive, but the kind of people who use it don't tend to have much money for long. So it's just not that popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭rightyabe

It just takes one person to flood the streets with a batch to get things going. So far it has only really been done on a microscale.

The country's with problems like America and Australia have massive outbacks of land to set up meth labs, not really the case in Ireland. Unless one wealthy drug dealer with a bit of rural land wants to take it by the horns and produce on a large scale.

The majority of meth labs in Australia are in houses on normal surburbia streets..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

seamus wrote: »
    Then production moved to Mexico and just jumps over the border.

A big wall between the two countries would put a stop to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Bracken81

Meth isn't big here for a number of reasons...........the easy availability of prescription drugs on the streets for one Imo

I was outside Heuston train station a few weeks back, 13/14 year old lads on pushbikes selling Benzos/Yellows at the Luas stop

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

My sources tell me it first came to ireland with our Czech Gastarbeiter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

My sources tell me it first came to ireland with our Czech Gastarbeiter.

Meth labs are definitely a thing in the Czech Republic. The business is starting to spill over to areas in eastern Germany.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

I blame this guy:

donal.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭soiseztomabel

Worked in a hostel for homeless in Waterford before starting college and it was beginning to seep into that community, apparently the rural areas are full of it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭ablelocks

apparently the rural areas are full of it

Breaking Baaaa'd?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭em_cat

rightyabe wrote: »
    The majority of meth labs in Australia are in houses on normal surburbia streets..

I lived in the states for a while when I was little, about a year an’ a half, we had a family dog that needed to be walked. On the my route near the house there was a a horrible sickly sweet burning smell all the time from one of the 5 bedroom suburban houses so I told my mum. Next day at dusk, there was a massive raid. Turns out it was a cook house.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

Worked in a hostel for homeless in Waterford before starting college and it was beginning to seep into that community, apparently the rural areas are full of it

rural areas of waterford are full of Meth ?

come on now be realistic , this scaremongering bs is pure Sunday world

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭soiseztomabel

mynamejeff wrote: »
    rural areas of waterford are full of Meth ?

come on now be realistic , this scaremongering bs is pure Sunday world

Sorry, i mean area's considered rural if you live outside Dublin. Waterford, Wexford and places like that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,102 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

ablelocks wrote: »
    Breaking Baaaa'd?!

Obviously "Breaking Blaa's"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Wait till zombie drug flakka arrives here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

YFlyer wrote: »
    Wait till zombie drug flakka arrives here.

It never does, first crack now meth the new fad drugs never make it across the Atlantic for the most part.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

It never does, first crack now meth the new fad drugs never make it across the Atlantic for the most part.

We don't have the CIA dropping in crates of the stuff, which is a a help I suppose

Was this the hostel on bath street by Tesco?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Bracken81 wrote: »
    Meth isn't big here for a number of reasons...........the easy availability of prescription drugs on the streets for one Imo

I was outside Heuston train station a few weeks back, 13/14 year old lads on pushbikes selling Benzos/Yellows at the Luas stop

Crystal meth and benzos have different effects , one is a stimulant and the other is a sedative.
    Those tablets are hardly keeping meth out.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭#Smokey#

a-pvp, which is flakka, has been here for a long time and is known in bubble in some areas.

meth has always been here but only in small quantities and made by eastern europeans

as for it being hard to get the precursors a kg of ephedrine is about 4-5k euro

Advertisement