Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AirBnB and Capital Gains Tax

Options
  • 26-01-2018 12:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi,

I rented one of our rooms for a few weeks on AirBnB last year and decided it wasn't for me for various reasons. I've heard that CGT is applicable to house sale if you have rented it out commercially. Is that the case regardless of when and for how long you rented out a room? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,320 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Were you living there ? Was it your principal primary residence?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Were you also living there at the time as your PPR?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 netflix2018

Yes, we were living there.

Full exemption from CGT for your PPR.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Fian

Full exemption from CGT for your PPR.

It's a little more complicated.

PPR= "principal PRIVATE residence". It doesn't just mean "your principal residence" it also must be a private home. So PPR relief does not apply where, e.g., a hotel in which the owner lived is sold.

I think it is unlikely you would lose PPR status on the basis of a few weeks airbnb rental - but I am not a tax expert. At worst I expect you would only lose one year of PPR - so if you held the house for 20 years worst case scenario would be a CGT liability for 1/20th of the gain over that period.

• Advertisement

I said "your" referring directly to the poster. He's living in his own, non-commercial home and renting out a room. No CGT due.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Fian

I said "your" referring directly to the poster. He's living in his own, non-commercial home and renting out a room. No CGT due.

The thing is revenue have decided airbnb is a commercial activity - hence not eligible for rent a room relief. If there is a commercial activity being conducted from the home it is not a "private" principal residence. So if for example I live in a premesis that is also a corner shop I am not going to get full CGT relief when i sell it.

Like i said it seems very unlikely that a few weeks Air bnb would displace the PPR relief, but it is not absolutely black and white (in a technical sense more than in a likelihood sense.)

Most likely they would take the pragmatic view that 3 weeks airbnb is not really a commercial activity sufficient to displace PPR relief, whereas year round might be.

If a person does run air bnb continuously from their home round thad potentially impact on PPR relief.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 netflix2018

Thanks very much for your replies.

Advertisement