Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SKS Raceblade Long - 15mm Axle

Options
  • 26-01-2018 11:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭

Wondering if any one has experience fitting the SKS Raceblade Long to a bike without quick release wheels or eyelets?

I chose the long model as I heard the pro version can come loose over time and possibly fall off. It wasn't really clear anywhere that they would only fit a quick release wheel either.

Looking at it I could probably just drill the holes out to match my axle, but would that present any issues?

I can always return the long for the pro version, are they really likely to shake off?

Bike is a 2009 Specialized Langster.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Raceblades don't use eyelets, just fix to the seatstays

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

Weepsie wrote: »
    Raceblades don't use eyelets, just fix to the seatstays

Raceblade Long are the ones I purchased. They are supposed to attach to the axle. By eyelets I mean mounts for the mudguards, be that a nut in the frame or something near the axle where I could fix them. Or attach and eyelet.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

jebidiah wrote: »

Oops, Gets coat and moves quietly to the door

Weepsie wrote: »
    Oops, Gets coat and moves quietly to the door

I'm guessing you've used the ones that just strap onto the seat stay/fork?
    I can still return the ones I bought and get those. Though as I said I heard they can come loose.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭mirrormatrix

Is your axle too wide a diameter for the longs, is that the problem?

I have the pros, have had no issues with movement, though they will scratch the paint off your frame if you don't cover it before attaching the rubber bands.

• Advertisement

Is your axle too wide a diameter for the longs, is that the problem?

I have the pros, have had no issues with movement, though they will scratch the paint off your frame if you don't cover it before attaching the rubber bands.

The problem is the small mounting bracket that attaches at the axle. Its designed for a quick release, where you completely remove the pin (about 4mm) from the wheel and slot the mounting piece over that.

My axle is a 15mm bolt on axle, so I would need to drill out the holes to make the bracket fit. I would have no problem doing the drilling, I would just be worried about maybe damaging the thread on my axle or something.

If the pro's are reliable in people's experience on here, I will just exchange for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

Ive a pair fitted to my winter bike...it has quick release wheels so cant comment on your fixing concern.
    The only advice I can give you.
    The front mudguard is too long and the first support bar then acts like a fixed point (fulcrum) for the bottom part of the mudguard which becomes a pendulum, cracks then falls off...only took 1 week in my case.
    Excuse my description...picture might help you better...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

...My axle is a 15mm bolt on axle, so I would need to drill out the holes to make the bracket fit. I would have no problem doing the drilling, I would just be worried about maybe damaging the thread on my axle or something.

If the pro's are reliable in people's experience on here, I will just exchange for them.
    I was in the same boat as yourself with mudguards for my single speed. I was trying to suss out a way of fitting long blades but the problem was with the axle fitting. I ended up getting P-clips and fitting full length proper mudguards. Much better job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭triggermortis

I would return the ones you have bought as they are not very good.
    Both mine cracked across the entire width and fell to pieces. I gaffer taped them together again, but then the bracket snapped off of one and the receptacle on the other would not hold the mudguard on. I ended up with more tape than mudguard, so I binned them. If you do keep them however, I have a bag of replacement brackets that sks sent me to replace the snapped one that you'd be welcome to if I can still find them

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

.. I have a bag of replacement brackets that sks sent me to replace the snapped one that you'd be welcome to if I can still find them
    If the OP doesn't need them I'll take them off your hands. I have managed to get 3 winters out of a set of long blades on one of my bikes - plastic is fine but the brackets need replacement regularly.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I'm guessing you've used the ones that just strap onto the seat stay/fork?
    I can still return the ones I bought and get those. Though as I said I heard they can come loose.
    I have had them for years without issue, just make sure the straps are tight/stretched.

Highly recommended

If the OP doesn't need them I'll take them off your hands. I have managed to get 3 winters out of a set of long blades on one of my bikes - plastic is fine but the brackets need replacement regularly.

I'll have a root about in the shed tomorrow and see if I still have them.

I had a root around today and found a bag with one each of the small, medium and long brackets and about 6 of the end parts that go under the skewers. I know I had more but must have chucked them with the broken mudguards!! You're welcome to what I have though.

Thanks for the replies all. I'm sure I could drill the eyelets, but im just going to return the product and get the raceblade pro instead.

Advertisement