Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Title Indemnity Insurance

Options
  • 26-01-2018 8:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

Hey everyone, looking for some advice/experience. I'm buying a house and a small portion of one part of the garden has "Possessory title". I'm not all that worried about it, but I know that my solicitor would rather deal with anything else but this. I have read online that you can get indemnity insurance on this issue to satisfy the bank lender. Has anyone done this? Is it a thing? The title on the house itself is fine. Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

KBC were happy to proceed on the basis of a revised valuation. Are you sure the bank need such insurance?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

This note from the Law Society might be of interest
    Link https://www.lawsociety.ie/Solicitors/Practising/Practice-Notes/Insurance-company-bonds-in--relation-to-lost-documents-and-defects-on-title/#.Wmyd1nkZiUl

I remember hearing of a product called defective title indemnity. That might be worth checking out for your own benefit in relation to the portion of the property that might be in doubt. The solicitor is probably and understandably feeling a bit uneasy about how to tidy up that potential defect in case of comeback to him and with a view to advising you properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Shoobs86

Thanks, everyone. Personally, I'm not worried about the title issue, but the reaction of my solicitor felt like he really just couldn't be bothered with all the extra work. The seller is eager to sell, and I am eager to buy. SAMUEL, can I ask what you mean by revised valuation? As in reduce the price you paid for the house, or reduce the valuation of the property in terms of rebuild?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Reduce the valuation in terms of resale.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Shoobs86

Thank you! I really appreciate all of your help :) Will let you know how it goes anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Shoobs86 wrote: »
    Thanks, everyone. Personally, I'm not worried about the title issue, but the reaction of my solicitor felt like he really just couldn't be bothered with all the extra work. The seller is eager to sell, and I am eager to buy. SAMUEL, can I ask what you mean by revised valuation? As in reduce the price you paid for the house, or reduce the valuation of the property in terms of rebuild?

Reduced the price the valuer (from the bank) put on the house. In our case by about 3K.

Advertisement