Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Downsizing.

Options
  • 25-01-2018 7:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭

Saw this today, absolute rubbish. Weird consistent tone, themes were either heavy handed stuff about climate change or non existent, boring one note characters, and even the aesthetics of it didn't do much for me. Not funny, not dramatic, not much of anything.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Telecaster58

Have to say I agree with this summation. What needed downsizing was the run time and the script. Now that I've got that lame joke out of the way I think it's fair to say this was really poor. I cannot believe the number of really positive reviews it is getting. The first hour had a certain amount of interest but really lost its way in the second half.
    Can't believe they included the scene where his wife changed her mind about being reduced in size and included it in the trailers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Have to say I agree with this summation. What needed downsizing was the run time and the script. Now that I've got that lame joke out of the way I think it's fair to say this was really poor. I cannot believe the number of really positive reviews it is getting. The first hour had a certain amount of interest but really lost its way in the second half.
    Can't believe they included the scene where his wife changed her mind about being reduced in size and included it in the trailers.

I actually forgot that was in those trailers, how ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

This was awful and way too long at about 2hours 15 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭piplip87

The concept was really good. Was too long not enough happening. Was funny in places but really disappointing.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,019 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I found this really weird, in that not just the tone but also the theme and narrative focus shifted repeatedly, and not in a way that felt either natural or sequential - if anything, it felt like an anti-Zombieland in that ZL was originally conceived as a tv series (hence the somewhat episodic structure) but converted well to a film, whereas at various points in Downsizing I wondered if I was watching a film shot from the same draft of the script. The number of times the film had to resort to a timeskip (two in the prologue alone!) speaks volumes to me as to how well conceived the film itself was, which is a pity as the setting and premise has a lot of potential that was mostly unexplored.

The tonal meandering worked against it for me, and stopped it building any momentum, which is a pity as there were some very funny scenes and exchanges. It's a good thing Christoph Waltz was in this, he comes as close to saving it as is possible with the material.

Maybe it could be fanedited into a state that makes for better viewing (there was certainly some material in the trailer that didn't make it into the film itself).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I actually found this film to be rather endearing. Yes, it’s way too long and could do with a good edit. And it feels like a film of mixed parts at times. But Hong Chau is fantastic in it and overall, I left the cinema a bit confused but happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

So I went and seen this today. I did think it could have been better and shorter but also found it to be a nice easy going movie. Not a movie I would be in any rush to see again do. I thought there was some humour in it sure some was dry humour but it was there.
    There was some messages in it about climate change and about cults about how easy it can be to get caught up in them but also about how the person that seems to be a bit crazy and out there is not the worst person.
    The bit at the end between him and her on the l thing do was way overdone do that it just became very crase.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Just saw this last night and it's very different than audiences would reasonably have expected based on the trailers, so I could understand a lot of disappointment.

However, considering I had time to adjust my expectations, I actually loved it. It is a strange film and almost has 3 distinct acts, the first third of the movie being somewhat in line with what trailers promised, but thereafter it's really just a film about people, and the 'downsizing' aspect is merely a distant backdrop.

Hong Chau knocks it out of the park but Matt Damon is also very good....great supporting cast as well. All said and done I'd consider it a 7-8 out of 10. Good, strong film that goes a different path than even it's own premise suggests but well worth a watch.

Advertisement