Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Level 8 vs level 5

Options
  • 25-01-2018 6:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭

Hi folks

I went to the IT Tallaght open day and was basically told that because I already have a masters in Child, Family and Community Studies I’d be mad to go back and do a level 8 in social care. I really want to work in social care though but I have no experience. There is work experience on the course which really could benefit my career. Would I be better doing the level 8 for 4 years or maybe doing a level 5 social care in inchicore for 1 or 2 years? To gain experience that way? I could do a level 9 but I really don’t want to do another masters

Many thanks

R

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Whenever registration opens for social care workers the qualification will be a level 7 min. I've no idea whether your masters will qualify you but as it stands, to be a social care worker you need 800 hours of placement completed.

A lev 5 might be ok to get a feel but it wont be enough to work with in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭ricicle

Thanks very much for the info. I am going to stick with the level 8. I'd rather do 4 years in college than do another Masters!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Shedy

Approach the Head of Department in the IT with a list of modules you have complete from your previous degree. They may be the same so you may be exempt for some credits in the new course. You will still have to pay the student contribution fee so it will not make a difference to them. You should look into a part time program. I know Athlone IT run social care part time and if you were exempt from certain modules it may not be too difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 LittleNicky86

Hi,

It is frustrating going back to college but you will get nowhere doing the FETAC level 5 sadly.

I moved over to Ireland from England. I worked for many years as a social care worker in England and hold the UK equivalent of the FETAC level 5 but i can't do my job over here as i am underqualified and can work as a healthcare assistant only. So you would need to go back to college sadly.

Although im not sure if you know but the required level 7 degree is only 3 years and not 4.... it is 4 years for the level 8 degree. Not sure i would want the extra year just to get 'honours'.

I was told my experience would get me to the top if i had a level 7. My advice would be to get a job as a care assistant while doing the level 7 degree and you will be miles ahead when you qualify :)

Advertisement