Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doomsday Clock closer to Armageddon . .

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

Drumpot wrote: »
    The same day Ireland votes to allow pubs to open on Good Friday . . . . .

https://www.rte.ie/news/2018/0125/936016-doomsday-clock/

Very true. There lot that can happen in the years to come. We live in a period of instability just look at the Middle East, China threats to Taiwan, North Korea. Europe is peaceful only shaken when terrorists commit an atrocity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

At least if it happens on good Friday we can ring,/bring in the apocalypse in the pub

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

Complete nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Complete nonsense.

Two more ticks and were tocked.

Complete nonsense.

Why do you think the world all holding hands?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

Armageddon outta here!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

What feckin use is a clock where you have to move the hands on manually! This is a STOPPED clock, (but at least it's right at least once every day).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

We're f**ked in a few weeks when clocks go forward so...

Turkey is now invading Syria and if it moves into Manbij, they may be engaging US forces. The place is a mess.

Those who support the terrorist organisation will become a target in this battle,” Turkish Deputy Prime Minister Bekir Bozdag said.

“The United States needs to review its soldiers and elements giving support to terrorists on the ground in such a way as to avoid a confrontation with Turkey,” Bozdag, who also acts as the government’s spokesman, told broadcaster A Haber.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

And I feel fine.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

Still plenty of time for a quick one so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

At least if it happens on good Friday we can ring,/bring in the apocalypse in the pub

6a12f75b338dfb14ae49148037201af2b165cbe0a99d9e060ba5c377bbd2e6ad.jpg

Complete nonsense.

Wouldn't necessarily say that, but I wouldn't take it as much more of an indication of how the world is doing overall.

No need to start stockpiling beans and toiletpaper just yet I'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

They should put it in the Liffey.....

• Registered Users Posts: 18,093 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Just shoot the toupee wearing mother trucka and swear in the rock, he'll fight Vladimir in a steel cage match for world domination

Just shoot the toupee wearing mother trucka and swear in the rock, he'll fight Vladimir in a steel cage match for world domination

As much as I'm not a fan of the big orange ape with the little hands....I just can't see anything good coming from him being shot

He's openly provoking the middle east which isn't how to go about such things take a page out of Regans book get a fall guy and do it with some subtlety.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Two Minutes to Midnight F.T.W.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

K.Flyer wrote: »
    Two Minutes to Midnight F.T.W.

Was actually going to post that myself :D

That villain in the video looks a lot like the Donald

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Archeron

Why do you think the world all holding hands?

That's not my hand....

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Complete nonsense.

I don’t know if it is or isn’t nonsense. I’d imagine most people say the same thing before war or tragedies because most people cannot imagine such these events unfolding.

Do you know how unlikely war or tragedy from global warming is or do you just make that presumption because , like, you know , it just won’t happen?

A big danger for me is all the distractions in modern society that keep people occupied. Most people are completely unaware of the dangers facing humanity. In an age of fake news, I wouldn’t be as quick to dismiss a statement from scientists trying to promote peace and more respect for our environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Every time they mention this it seems to be 2 minutes to midnight. It never seems to be publicised when it moves back. They have me living in a perpetual state of fear.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

No, not when Big Ben is bingbongless!

Hold off for a few years lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Ah yeah, the good ol' fictional fear mongering clock.

What's the point in going through life in such fear, nothing we can do about it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

gimli2112 wrote: »
    Every time they mention this it seems to be 2 minutes to midnight. It never seems to be publicised when it moves back. They have me living in a perpetual state of fear.
    LirW wrote: »
    Ah yeah, the good ol' fictional fear mongering clock.

What's the point in going through life in such fear, nothing we can do about it anyway.

Its ironic that you use the word "fear" because that's one of the main reasons (along with Greed) war usually start. The clock isn't supposed to get people fearing for their lives, its about taking notice of the way things are going and actually addressing the issues.

The fact that some people react with fear to this kind of story (or presume its designed to make them scared) gives us a good insight into why people ignore it. The truth is scary but it doesn't mean you have to fear it and ignoring it (or slagging it - modern ignorance is bliss reaction) doesn't make the problem going away.

What is more scary then the fact you could literally die at any moment ? That's a fact, not a scaremongering statement, but most people accept it and get on with their lives. I don't see any difference between the fact of life/death with accepting the facts of the fragility of society as we know it. I think the Doomsday clock sheds a light on people's awareness (or lack of) of the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

Turkey is now invading Syria and if it moves into Manbij, they may be engaging US forces. The place is a mess.

Those who support the terrorist organisation will become a target in this battle,” Turkish Deputy Prime Minister Bekir Bozdag said.

“The United States needs to review its soldiers and elements giving support to terrorists on the ground in such a way as to avoid a confrontation with Turkey,” Bozdag, who also acts as the government’s spokesman, told broadcaster A Haber.

Relations between the US and Turkey have become strained since Turkey started swapping oil for commodities with Iran, (Turkey have dropped the dollar for trading oil, to a certain degree).

I read a claim made by an American investor and investment writer, James Dale Davidson, who is warning about an impending plot to crash the US stock market to make Donald Trump look bad.

He has predicted the DOW to drop by as much as 7000 points, and that Trump will become the biggest fall guy ever, taking the hit for gross over-spending and financial incompetence by previous administrations.

He states that the Federal Reserve higher level staff were all Obama appointments, done before he left office, and there is a plan to try and take Trump down by crashing the stock market in a scenario akin to 1929.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

Nothing to worry about
    Ireland is 50 years behind the rest of the world so we are safe
    (Goes to get Popcorn)

Advertisement