Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strat for country music

Options
  • 25-01-2018 5:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

Hi folks,I play mainly country as a 2 piece,I always just used some delay up to now on my strat , but my fellow musician wants me to get a sort of country sound.Whats my best method?.Add some sustain?,no really gifted pedal wise so all help appreciated .

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Bridge and middle pickup and get some country licks in. I never really thought country was driven by effects, mostly high cleans. Reverb might be worth mixing in, that is if you're not already.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭leonffrench

Compressor pedal plus strat on bridge pickup is chicken pickin country sound at it's best

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,008 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

I reckon a telecaster might be give a more 'typical' country sound but a strat should be ok too. Generally single coil pickups would be more useful than humbuckers.
    Adding a short slapback delay and a light overdrive tends to give that nice country feel.
    Added sustain is generally not needed, a lot of country style is quite choppy/fast almost muted notes, but styles do vary a lot and I think a lot if it is how you pluck the strings.
    Watching the good country players, a lot of them are using a mix of finger-picking/plectrum to pick notes to get the sound they want.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Bridge pickup, picked close to the bridge, and block off the bridge. You should be good to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭kierc

Gaspode wrote:
    I reckon a telecaster might be give a more 'typical' country sound but a strat should be ok too. Generally single coil pickups would be more useful than humbuckers. Adding a short slapback delay and a light overdrive tends to give that nice country feel. Added sustain is generally not needed, a lot of country style is quite choppy/fast almost muted notes, but styles do vary a lot and I think a lot if it is how you pluck the strings. Watching the good country players, a lot of them are using a mix of finger-picking/plectrum to pick notes to get the sound they want.

When you say slap back delay?,is that like the boss delay pedal
    I'm using

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,008 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

It's just a really short delay that doesn't repeat more than once really.
    Have a look here, though this guy overdoes the delay a tiny bit to my ears.

Advertisement