Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I've just made a boo boo of a lifetime!

Options
  • 25-01-2018 3:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭

Have you ever done something so stupid that your left so dumbstruck that you can't even think straight? That's how I feel now!

Monday gone I was in town and decided to drop into the tax office and see if I am owed any tax back.  So they give me a form and told me to fill it out and bring it back in with my P60.  I haven't received my P60 from my job yet so I sent an email to accounts requesting that they send out my P60 to me!  

I always receive an email every week with my payslip and my work schedule for the days I'll be working next week.  So on the time table it has me down just for Sunday, I should be down for Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday because I work those days every week.  So I'm sitting here puzzled about the time table, wondering why they don't have me down for next week, so I though Id check my emails to see if I missed any emails from my job.  Looking through my emails I checked the email I sent to my job on Monday requesting my P60.   What did I only do?  Me thick f..k, didn't I only put P45 down instead of P60!  I more or less quit my job without even copping it!  I feel so stupid, I can't believe what I've done!  Do you think if I ring them tomorrow and explain what happened they'll just pretend it didn't happen and I wont lose my Job?  Obviously they think I've quit if they didn't send me My work schedule for next week.  What will I do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

So they just accepted you asking for a p45 as you quitting?
    Sounds hard to believe. Just call them and explain the mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Micky___

Sorry, having a bad week and this really put a smile on my face :D

What type of place do you work?
    I would imagine If you explain they will understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

That really cheered me up. Depending on your relationship with your employer, this might be easily resolved.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭CobraClan

I work for a Security Company, you know how they are when it come's to F..k Ups!  Im on good terms with my supervisor so I might be alright!  Still can't believe what I've done, like how?  The worse thing is having to ring them up tomorrow and explain what happened!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭coffeepls

You’re fretting way too much hun. I work in payroll years now & employees can say the darndest things when they’re trying to get their heads around sorting tax.
    Give them a ring tomorrow. You’ll be grand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭onrail

If that's the 'boo-boo of a lifetime' you're doing pretty well. I've made at least 7 mistakes bigger than that in the last 20 minutes.

Be grand

Catching up on YLYL distracted me from my job the other day resulting in a €7k loss in production. I'm just a terrible employee though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

CobraClan wrote: »
    Have you ever done something so stupid that your left so dumbstruck that you can't even think straight? That's how I feel now!

Monday gone I was in town and decided to drop into the tax office and see if I am owed any tax back.  So they give me a form and told me to fill it out and bring it back in with my P60.  I haven't received my P60 from my job yet so I sent an email to accounts requesting that they send out my P60 to me!  

I always receive an email every week with my payslip and my work schedule for the days I'll be working next week.  So on the time table it has me down just for Sunday, I should be down for Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday because I work those days every week.  So I'm sitting here puzzled about the time table, wondering why they don't have me down for next week, so I though Id check my emails to see if I missed any emails from my job.  Looking through my emails I checked the email I sent to my job on Monday requesting my P60.   What did I only do?  Me thick f..k, didn't I only put P45 down instead of P60!  I more or less quit my job without even copping it!  I feel so stupid, I can't believe what I've done!  Do you think if I ring them tomorrow and explain what happened they'll just pretend it didn't happen and I wont lose my Job?  Obviously they think I've quit if they didn't send me My work schedule for next week.  What will I do?

They just terminated your employment without your formal resignation?

That doesn't sound right.

Surely any decent company would have contacted you and asked you for clarification.

Edit I see you say you work for a security company and they don't appreciate phuck ups. Tell them you sent email by phone and auto predict spelling changed the p60 to p45 and that you're really annoyed and tired with all the shirt the phone has caused.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭SuperSean11

With the title I was pretty sure this was gonna be a sexual misadventure thread.

I see what you were trying to do make them think you were quitting so they offered more money, they called your bluff time to quit, there’s no going back now ⛄️

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

I honestly did the same thing when I was 19. For some odd reason P45 came out over the phone when I rang them.

They were very weird on the phone and were asking if everything was ok.

Only after I received it did I realise what I had done. They had a good laugh at it the next day though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

Is your name Rodney?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

This has to be a wind up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭screamer

Surely you need to give notice to leave etc.... Asking for a P45 is not giving notice. Call the payroll department and just say you made a mistake and need a P60 not a P45....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

screamer wrote: »
    Surely you need to give notice to leave etc.... Asking for a P45 is not giving notice. Call the payroll department and just say you made a mistake and need a P60 not a P45....

This.

I would have assumed that any company worth it's salt would have had made its employees sign a contract, in which would have terms surrounding the employee having to give sufficient notice of intent to leave. Likewise they would give some assurance not to just let you go either (except if being sacked) or pay in lieu of notice being served?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chrongen

Anybody who uses the term "boo-boo" to describe a mistake doesn't deserve a fcuking job anyway.

I work for a Security Company, you know how they are when it come's to F..k Ups! Im on good terms with my supervisor so I might be alright! Still can't believe what I've done, like how? The worse thing is having to ring them up tomorrow and explain what happened!

Dude, you won't be speaking to the owner or the manager or your team leader/supervisor or any of your friggin' colleagues. You'll be speaking to the girl in HR/Payroll who nobody ever sees and she will just click a button in the computer and you'll be back to normal. Chill out.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Effects wrote: »
    So they just accepted you asking for a p45 as you quitting?
    Sounds hard to believe. Just call them and explain the mistake.

Yeh Im sure they felt you'd be leaving them soon if you asked for it but its quite a jump on their part to have you cut from the timetable the next week without you saying anything :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭King of Kings

after work last week I went to throw my shirt in the wash basket.
    Threw it into the jacks instead
    stood there and said ""wtf"

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Sitting in a waiting room and just burst out laughing at this. I can totally imagine it happening.

2 points.

Done that with socks too.

Perhaps there's some merit in the missus's insistence on leaving the seat down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Well OP, come on. How did you get on when you phoned them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Well OP, come on. How did you get on when you phoned them?

*Thread followed* :D:pac:

OP must deliver. Please.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,237 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Miike wrote: »
    OP must deliver. Please.

He can deliver in one of these. Payroll also got confused, and sent him a P50.

272187.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

I work for a Security Company, you know how they are when it come's to F..k Ups!  Im on good terms with my supervisor so I might be alright!  Still can't believe what I've done, like how?  The worse thing is having to ring them up tomorrow and explain what happened!

Does the company name begin with an S and end with a Y??

• Registered Users Posts: 21,096 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

scudzilla wrote: »
    Does the company name begin with an S and end with a Y??

Yip, he works for SexY SecuritY

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Tuco88

On a side note do you guys know what name or number that tax form is? I think you can print them off online?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 720 ✭✭✭DrGreenthumb

he quit the thread now, commitment issues

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭CobraClan

Looks like everything is ok, I rang my supervisor and he told me just to email the girl in accounts again and tell her there was a mixup, that you ment P60 not P45! He said he will be in office tomorrow where he will see her anyway and he will sort out my work hours for next week!
    I was in some panic last night when I realized what I'd done, awake all night worrying about it!

Glad to see some people having a good laugh about it, my supervisor thought it was funny too! I'll be double checking any email I send out in the future!

• Advertisement

Looks like everything is ok, I rang my supervisor and he told me just to email the girl in accounts again and tell her there was a mixup, that you ment P60 not P45! He said he will be in office tomorrow where he will see her anyway and he will sort out my work hours for next week!
    I was in some panic last night when I realized what I'd done, awake all night worrying about it!

Glad to see some people having a good laugh about it, my supervisor thought it was funny too! I'll be double checking any email I send out in the future!

I'm glad it all worked out in the end. I've been telling people about this thread all day

Advertisement