Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mtf, how to get started?

Options
  • 25-01-2018 1:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi I'm an 17 year old who was born a boy, since I can remember I wished from the bottom of my heart that it wasn't the case and wish I was born a girl. Its nothing to do with anything other then the fact I feel more girly and like more girly things then boyish things and quite frankly hate almost everything to do with being a boy ( for me that is, no hate here.).

I come from england and basically said once I moved I would tell my family (which I have) and begin transitioning... And since all that has happened I was wondering how I go about starting hormone replacement therapy for male to female transition, as it quite literally all I want, please help, I'm in county clare so closer would be best but I will literally travel to Dublin or anywhere else for that matter if I have to.

Thank you in advance

P.s my name is only Bob Ross cause deadpool :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭JackTaylorFan

BobRoss wrote: »
    Hi I'm an 17 year old who was born a boy, since I can remember I wished from the bottom of my heart that it wasn't the case and wish I was born a girl. Its nothing to do with anything other then the fact I feel more girly and like more girly things then boyish things and quite frankly hate almost everything to do with being a boy ( for me that is, no hate here.).

I come from england and basically said once I moved I would tell my family (which I have) and begin transitioning... And since all that has happened I was wondering how I go about starting hormone replacement therapy for male to female transition, as it quite literally all I want, please help, I'm in county clare so closer would be best but I will literally travel to Dublin or anywhere else for that matter if I have to.

Thank you in advance

Hi

To transition socially, for Irish people, you should apply for a gender certificate which will allow for you to obtain a corrected birth cert with new name and gender markings - but as you are from the UK I am not sure how this will apply. Changing your name by deed poll will be sufficient for many private companies - but for government offices such as Social Welfare they will insist you enroll your deed poll in the High Court before recognising your new name.

Here is a linky:
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/birth_family_relationships/changing_to_your_preferred_gender.html

I did all the paperwork and jumping through hoops in Ireland well before the Gender Recognition Act.

To transition medically in Ireland (HRT) either privately or via HSE you first need to be evaluated by two independent qualified psychologists/psychiatrists - to get you started you can ask your GP for a referral to a psychiatrist in your area (but honestly, GPs are still hopeless at this). Alternatively, you can find a list of treating psychs here http://teni.ie/healthcare.aspx?filter=CP and here http://teni.ie/healthcare.aspx?filter=PCP.

Regardless of whom you see, you will need a diagnosis of Gender Dysphoria from them, as well as a letter of referral to an endocrinologist who treats transpeople. Make sure the person you choose can offer you a letter of referral to a treating hospital (remember, you are looking for a diagnosis, not counselling at this stage). Many of these health care providers will have experience dealing with transitioning clients and may be able to offer your further advise regarding your treatment.

To my knowledge, there are only two HSE hospitals that treat transpeople: Galway University and Loughlinstown in Dublin (although, I think I heard there is one in Cork now, also). I am aware of two endocrinologist in Ireland who will be willing to treat you and they are both named here - http://teni.ie/healthcare.aspx?filter=OHC.

As you are still under 18, I am uncertain if you will be allowed begin HRT without parental consent - you may want to look into that. But I imagine by the time you have all the paperwork and diagnosis you will probably be 18 anyhow.

For surgeries, well, you won't even be considered for that for at least a year after HRT commences. There are no options for Gender Reaffirmation Surgery (GRS) in Ireland currently, either.

It is highly advisable you seek some sort of counseling on top of all this - and perhaps look into joining a support group in or near your area as well. I believe a group in Galway runs a meeting once a month - though I haven't been myself. But you will gain a much better understanding of what is ahead of you by speaking directly to people who have already been through it all.

I hope this helps.

Wishing you luck.

BobRoss wrote: »

P.s: I misread that as "my name is only Bob Ross cause deed poll", and thought: "Oh how unfortunate; what poor decision making skills" :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Maybe go back to England if you can and use the NHS instead.

Ireland doesn’t do sex change operations (they’ll pay for one in the UK)

I’ve no knowledge of how transitions work here but I’d bet my house it’s a lot faster and efficient than here.

Our health service still has a Jesus says no mentality to everything from proper pain relief to patients to benzodiazepines for suicidal people in A&E departments.

The above poster was very informative but let’s face it this is incompetent, bureaucratic Ireland and there’s always a catch. Irreversible effects of puberty would be well set in by the time they’ll start treatment.

Maybe go back to England if you can and use the NHS instead.

Ireland doesn’t do sex change operations (they’ll pay for one in the UK)

I’ve no knowledge of how transitions work here but I’d bet my house it’s a lot faster and efficient than here.

Our health service still has a Jesus says no mentality to everything from proper pain relief to patients to benzodiazepines for suicidal people in A&E departments.

The above poster was very informative but let’s face it this is incompetent, bureaucratic Ireland and there’s always a catch. Irreversible effects of puberty would be well set in by the time they’ll start treatment.

The NHS is notoriously woefully awful for transitioning. The waiting list at point of application there is something ridiculous. If OP is entitled to HSE treatment and wants to live in Ireland why should they go anywhere else to begin?

Also, OP is 17, I imagine puberty has long set in. And as it happens the HSE does offer reversible blockers for those under 16 who are diagnosed. Here's a handy HSE guideline: http://www.hse.ie/eng/health/az/G/Gender-dysphoria/

Advertisement