Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to start in the industry?

Options
  • 25-01-2018 12:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi all, just wanted to get your opinion on something I've been mulling over the past few months or so.

Currently working in your run of the mill 9-5 corporate role as an Ops manager for a large telecoms. Something I fell into because of a natural progression and I suppose I was decent at it... but something I never really wanted to do! I'm now in the 10th year with the company and whilst I'm adequately paid - for the most part - I can't help but feel if I don't make an effort to go do something I want to do on a daily basis I'll end up stuck there!

Anyway, what I'm getting at is I'm 31, with previous experience in Music Production, releases on various labels as a Techno / House producer, and some freelance bits of sound design for Radio etc.

When I was younger I considered it a hobby more than a career choice, and as most posters here would understand, DJ'ing and producing in your 20s is hardly a lucrative career! :pac: Hence why the hobby became less and less prominent and I concentrated on my career where I could see results in terms of pay.

So... to cut to the question, I have a studio at home gathering dust, and I'm seriously considering reevaluating my career and moving into a different industry. Where do I start?

Part of my is saying its probably too late, but then the other part is saying how will I know if I don't try.

I'd love to get involved in Sound Design, i.e; work in media (TV/Film/Game), as either Sound Designer or Music Composer/Producer. Aside from building a portfolio I would assume no company is going to take me on without some sort of college and work experience. So I'm wondering where do I start there?

Is a part time course to help with qualification worth the time? Or will a company be looking for something a bit more series like an Honours? Ideally I'd like to continue working whilst studying due to rent etc. obviously.

It's probably all a bit wishful thinking at this stage but I'd like to start seriously looking into it... But because I've been so removed from it for so long I'm pretty lost and clueless with regards to the industry. Appreciate any recommendations or feedback!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

31 and you think its too late!! Its not. Im 41 and in the exact same boat as you.. Stuck in a 9-5 wanting out and into something more creative.

Advertisement