Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best toasted special in Cork City?

Options
  • 24-01-2018 3:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭

I'm so sick of places throwing em together and paying 8e for something I could make at home in 2 minutes.

Where can I find the toasties I remember eating with mammy and daddy in the mid 90s? I feel like they were more of an art back then.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

The toasties in The Priory look good (haven't tried). Siopa gan Ainm have decent toasties.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,811 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

long valley

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Richmond Ultra

long valley

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

Brackens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

northgirl wrote: »
    Brackens

Declan is a legend.

Always got a few free cakes when I delivered to the shop.

Our families go back decades.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Zico !

Brackens

I was just going to say this place was the worst Ive ever had along with jim cashmans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

Zico ! wrote: »
    I was just going to say this place was the worst Ive ever had along with jim cashmans

Cashman’s is poor enough.

Declan is a legend.

Always got a few free cakes when I delivered to the shop.

Our families go back decades.

Truck driver, I remember as a kid in the early 80s going with my friends dad delivering Thompsons cakes, all over. Good days them. Free cakes at the end of the day!

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭timmyjimmy

Long Valley is your only man.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭theglobe

Zico ! wrote: »

Brakens is ****e, had one here. I went in there a couple of weeks ago on a freezing day and they had cold air blowing from the aircon as well.

I have been to the Long Valley and they are good but I was hoping for better:D

• Advertisement

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    The toasties in The Priory look good (haven't tried). Siopa gan Ainm have decent toasties.

Might try this Siopa Gan Ainm place, never been there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Bull McCabe's.Long Valley is touch and go.all depends on weather peadar is in good form or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

The toasties in the FarmGate, English Market are pretty good too.

theglobe wrote: »
    Might try this Siopa Gan Ainm place, never been there.

It's very country farmhouse, pick up some veg and bacon while you're there. Staff can be a bit ditzy, but it's all good.

theglobe wrote: »
    Brakens is ****e, had one here. I went in there a couple of weeks ago on a freezing day and they had cold air blowing from the aircon as well.

I have been to the Long Valley and they are good but I was hoping for better:D

Brackens make some of the nicest if not the nicest sandwiches in Cork, I dont get them toasted as I always get takeaway but I'd expect their toasted ones aren't shi*e thats for sure.

Cavanaghs on Liberty do a nice toasted special also.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭timmyjimmy

Went to Bracken's once. Not really a fan. Long Valley is far superior.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

The toasties in the FarmGate, English Market are pretty good too.

Farmgate gets my vote as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭The Undecided One

So as a foreigner trying to educate myself on the Irish ways I have a question:

What makes one toasted special better than another?

What is the golden standard? What are ye looking for in a toastie like that?

I have learned over the years to appreciate a good breakfast sandwich (never a roll, too messy), and have some favorite places but I find it hard to see the difference between one ham/cheese/onion/tomato on white and another.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

I have learned over the years to appreciate a good breakfast sandwich (never a roll, too messy), and have some favorite places but I find it hard to see the difference between one ham/cheese/onion/tomato on white and another.

Thanks!

For me the key components are:

Nicely toasted bread. Nothing worse than a toastie that’s toasted on only one side or half toasted
    Cheese is actually melted (related to the above point)
    A good ratio of ham, cheese, onion and tomato properly distributed so I don’t have to remake the sandwich
    Real ham

Farmgate give tomato relish on the side so get bonus points for that.

Thanks!
    It's mostly down to the quality of the ingredients, for me. Decent bread (not sliced pan), good quality cheese and ham. Tomatoes and onion should be thinly sliced - no huge chunks of onion or tomato.
    Like above, it should be well constructed and nicely toasted.

I like to add a little mustard to mine.

• Advertisement

And proper butter.

Oh, and no need for butter in a toasted special.

But if you insist on needlessly putting dairy spread in a sandwich with melted cheese, it should be real butter.

Oh, and no need for butter in a toasted special.

But if you insist on needlessly putting dairy spread in a sandwich with melted cheese, it should be real butter.

I like to butter the outside. But I see your reasoning.

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    I like to butter the outside. But I see your reasoning.

Ah, the outside buttering.
    That has a function, alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

The toasties in Jacques cafe are superb. There are daily specials or you can make your own. They use gorgeous ham.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Natural food bakery in fitzgerald park is my favorite toasty.

Real ham, homemade bread, butter or mayo or pesto. Decent cheese and they don’t whine when I ask for coleslaw in my toasty like everywhere else.

pwurple wrote: »
    Natural food bakery in fitzgerald park is my favorite toasty.

Real ham, homemade bread, butter or mayo or pesto. Decent cheese and they don’t whine when I ask for coleslaw in my toasty like everywhere else.

They have a shop on paul street and in blackrock also, they have very nice stuff that's a little different.

dudara wrote: »
    The toasties in Jacques cafe are superb. There are daily specials or you can make your own. They use gorgeous ham.

Great call and agreed about the ham. Side of very nice coldslaw was a nice bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,425 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Brackens make some of the nicest if not the nicest sandwiches in Cork, I dont get them toasted as I always get takeaway but I'd expect their toasted ones aren't shi*e thats for sure.

Cavanaghs on Liberty do a nice toasted special also.

Is that still open?

• Advertisement

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Is that still open?

Yes, still open.

Advertisement