Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling around Cong, Mayo

Options
  • 24-01-2018 1:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

I'm staying in Cong in Mayo this weekend and have a few hours to get out on the bike on sat. I was thinking of cycling to Leenaun and back but would welcome other suggestions. I'm thinking less busy roads and more country lanes. Have the option of CX bike as well...

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

From Cong head to Finny, then to Tormakeady and head over lally's climb, then head towards Leenaun. If feeling good continue to Inagh Valley and head south to the N59, back to Maam Cross and back then to Cong through Cornamona. You could cut it shorter and come back from Leanaun by Lough Nafooey

Loads of back roads and options to chose from around the area, above route is primarily on quiet roads except when on the N59.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭transylman

Leenaun to Clifden is a great stretch of road. Would recommend including it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 collym

From Cong head to Finny, then to Tormakeady and head over lally's climb, then head towards Leenaun. If feeling good continue to Inagh Valley and head south to the N59, back to Maam Cross and back then to Cong through Cornamona. You could cut it shorter and come back from Leanaun by Lough Nafooey

Loads of back roads and options to chose from around the area, above route is primarily on quiet roads except when on the N59.

That sounds great. I'll try to map it out on Strava and see how it looks! Cheers

transylman wrote: »
    Leenaun to Clifden is a great stretch of road. Would recommend including it.

I've done Clifden to Leenaun before and it's a super spin alright. But I'm only based in Cong for 2 nights so want to do out and backs from there if possible, avoiding time behind the dreaded wheel!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Was there last summer for a 2 day and it's lovely all round. Enjoy it and am just a little jealous :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭koutoubia

collym wrote: »
    I'm staying in Cong in Mayo this weekend

If your staying in the hostel at the side of Ashford Castle ask them if they have a voucher for food in the bar of The Castle.
    Well worth it!

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭delynet

Is this the route more of less? (attached image)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

collym wrote: »
    Is this the route more of less? (attached image)

Yep just when leaving leanaun take a left by the lakes, would be about 10km after leanaun and skip cornamona

• Registered Users Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭plodder

I think I would head out along the lake to Cornamona and either loop back from there via Cloghbrack, or just after Maum via Finny if I had the time. The two loops look about 30km or 50. Never cycled there, but the scenery is spectacular.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭equivariant

The cloghbrack corrnamona loop is excellent and pretty straightforward. For a brilliant 50K loop from cong I suggest Clonbur, Finny, Ail Dubh, Maum, Corrnamona. Scenery is absolutely spectacular if the weather is agreeable and Ail Dubh is nice little dig of a climb. If you want to add in some more climbing there is a right turn just after Finny that goes up a viciously steep back road to the top of Maum Trasna, then turn left and come down the hill and on towards Ail Dubh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

Collym.
    So where did you go.
    2 very different Days weather wise.
    But I hope you enjoyed your time in Joyce Country/South Mayo.

Advertisement