Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia goes to war... with a satirist?

Options
  • 23-01-2018 7:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭

Have to get a laugh out of this I didn't even know Armando Iannucci had made a film recently, but he has, and it looks like Russia are acting a little bit snowflake like and trying to silence their critics - even comedians - freedom of speech once again.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-42793157
    The Russian release of British comedy film The Death of Stalin has been shelved following a screening before senior figures on Monday night.

The Russian attendees complained that the satire contained "ideological warfare" and "extremism".

The film's distribution certificate was withdrawn, effectively cancelling its planned Thursday release.

It is not clear if the film, starring Steve Buscemi and Jeffrey Tambor, will be shown in Russia at all.

Yelena Drapeko, deputy head of the lower house of parliament's culture committee, told RBK news she had "never seen anything so disgusting in my life".

Yury Polyakov, a member of the culture ministry's advisory council, said it contained aspects of "ideological warfare".

Here is a trailer for this terrifying weapon of ideological warfare:

Certainly makes me appreciate the freedom or speech and expression we're afforded here, and the movie actually looks quite funny. It's currently got 9.7/10 on Rotten Tomatoes from critics, and 9.8 from viewers.

Comments

They'll be bombing him then or...?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,844 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I give it a day before saucy texts between him and his wife get dumped online.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Hope he avoids tea for a few years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Rumpy Pumpy

The word is often overused, but Armando Iannucci can legitimately be called a genius.

He was the writer of Alan Partridge, The Day Today, The Thick of IT, Veep, On The Hour, amongst others. All comedy gold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

The word is often overused, but Armando Iannucci can legitimately be called a genius.

He was the writer of Alan Partridge, The Day Today, The Thick of IT, Veep, On The Hour, amongst others. All comedy gold.

Didn't know he did Alan Partridge or Veep, just going off TDT and TToI (as well as the movie) was enough to agree with you though!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

On par with Chris Morris.

That film's been around for a while too.

I think I first heard of it on last years RHLSTP (RHLSTP!).

https://youtu.be/vh86Tw4lfQI?t=50m26s

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5 dubstar69

me_irl wrote: »
    On par with Chris Morris.

That film's been around for a while too.

I think I first heard of it on last years RHLSTP (RHLSTP!).

I was down at the local skateboard park the other day and they were calling it RHLSTP so I don't know...

The film is great, some fantastic performances, surprised it got no Oscar nods today but what a load of old bollocks that is

dubstar69 wrote: »
    I was down at the local skateboard park the other day and they were calling it RHLSTP so I don't know...

The film is great, some fantastic performances, surprised it got no Oscar nods today but what a load of old bollocks that is

It was a great movie. Got me to read a book about Stalin by Simon Sebag Montefiore. He really was a truly monstrous man.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,422 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

It was a great movie. Got me to read a book about Stalin by Simon Sebag Montefiore. He really was a truly monstrous man.

Montefiore is a superb author. I recently finished his magnificent biography of Jerusalem.

The Death of Stalin was a film that I quite enjoyed thought the British accents really made it difficult to get properly immersed in it. I wouldn't have expected the cast to speak fluent Russian but surely accents would have been reasonable.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Montefiore is a superb author. I recently finished his magnificent biography of Jerusalem.

The Death of Stalin was a film that I quite enjoyed thought the British accents really made it difficult to get properly immersed in it. I wouldn't have expected the cast to speak fluent Russian but surely accents would have been reasonable.

hunt-for-red-october-sean-connery.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Be careful, Putin. They got a film camera.

Jerusalem is one of the best books I've read. Gives you an idea of why the whole situation over there is such a clusterfúck at the moment.

As an aside, Montefiore is also a good historical thriller writer. One Night in Winter is a great page turner set in Moscow during the era of Stalin.

Advertisement