Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My PPS when I die

Options
  • 23-01-2018 7:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭

Just wondering what happens my PPS number when I die? I've heard of stories where people assume the identities of dead people. Does this happen?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

When you die there is a death cert on which the PPS number is included in the details. It will be marked "deceased" on the system and withdrawn from service.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭yenom

Fake News wrote: »
    Just wondering what happens my PPS number when I die? I've heard of stories where people assume the identities of dead people. Does this happen?

It's not possible. The death certificate is linked to your PPS number.

Even if someone had your PPS number, what are they going to do? Pay your taxes? They can't claim benefits or get ID without getting a Public Services Card. When they go for a PSC, a date of death will appear.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭bisset

I think those cases have been family members not registering the death and continuing to collect the person's old age pension.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Maybe you could leave to someone in your will ,

Bit of an odd question really

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Bicycle

Your PPS number remains your number.

When I got married a long time ago, I was forced to change to my husband's PPS Number with a W added on. Fast forward almost 30 years and I was no longer able to use Hubby's PPS+W so my old PPS number was reactivated and I use it now.

Even though nobody was using my old number, it wasn't reallocated.

There are lots of other women in the same position as me.

• Advertisement

bisset wrote: »
    I think those cases have been family members not registering the death and continuing to collect the person's old age pension.

A guy in Cork got caught when his dead father was shown to be 100. I think the president's office made contact about the centenary cheque. It was in the papers.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭kurtainsider

I've paid so much tax over the years that I expect that they'll retire my number and hoist it up into the rafters.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭tringle

Bicycle wrote: »
    Your PPS number remains your number.

When I got married a long time ago, I was forced to change to my husband's PPS Number with a W added on. Fast forward almost 30 years and I was no longer able to use Hubby's PPS+W so my old PPS number was reactivated and I use it now.

Even though nobody was using my old number, it wasn't reallocated.

There are lots of other women in the same position as me.

I actually had 3 pps numbers and one of the was re used.
    Started working at 16 and got a pps number, had a baby at 19 and have single mother's payment for 3 months. Got married then and had to use my husbands pps number. 12 years later a letter arrived at my mothers house to say as an unmarried mother I was been offered a council house in Sligo. I lived in Dublin and had never applied for a council house, it seems they had given my old Pps number to someone.
    Anyway married then for about 15 years I started a business and registered for Vat, your pps number becomes your vat number.5 years later husband did the same and we hit a problem, two people can't have the same vat number. So they gave me a third pps number.
    Mad

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Twelve Bar Blues

tringle wrote: »
    I actually had 3 pps numbers and one of the was re used.
    Started working at 16 and got a pps number, had a baby at 19 and have single mother's payment for 3 months. Got married then and had to use my husbands pps number. 12 years later a letter arrived at my mothers house to say as an unmarried mother I was been offered a council house in Sligo. I lived in Dublin and had never applied for a council house, it seems they had given my old Pps number to someone.
    Anyway married then for about 15 years I started a business and registered for Vat, your pps number becomes your vat number.5 years later husband did the same and we hit a problem, two people can't have the same vat number. So they gave me a third pps number.
    Mad

????? I won't pretend to know much on the subject but that's a bit crazy isn't it. Why should your pps number have to be changed because of a change in your status etc.? Funny system isn't it. Sounds over complicated, and would cause issues with continuity I would imagine.

????? I won't pretend to know much on the subject but that's a bit crazy isn't it. Why should your pps number have to be changed because of a change in your status etc.? Funny system isn't it. Sounds over complicated, and would cause issues with continuity I would imagine.

They used to put W for wife at the end of PPS numbers. This practice was stopped around the time divorce was legalised.

• Advertisement

Was married in the 80s when a women automatically was then given her husbands number. Also you didn't get issued a number at birth but got one when.you first started to work.

On a similar note I opened a bank account when I moved towns ( when all you had to do was walk into a bank to do so and online banking didn't exist). Got my yearly statement and on Jan 1st there where 30 lodgements of 50p each made. Called in to the bank and when they checked it out it turned out they had given me an old bank account number that had belonged to a club. When they gave it to me it reactivated all the yearly direct debits for the club membership.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭rgodard80a

Why should your pps number have to be changed because of a change in your status etc.?

I imagine it's if a husband and wife elect for "joint assessment" for tax purposes, then their incomes and tax credits are combined and they fill in the one tax return.

But I'd expect them each retain valid independent PPS numbers also.

rgodard80a wrote: »
    I imagine it's if a husband and wife elect for "joint assessment" for tax purposes, then their incomes and tax credits are combined and they fill in the one tax return.

But I'd expect them each retain valid independent PPS numbers also.

At the time it was automatic, wives were assessed for tax under their husbands number regardless of whether they worked or not. There wasn't sepetate assessment. This was 1986...a different world to now, the day you got married you automatically lost your name and your pps number.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement