Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to London and working in Canary Wharf - where to live

Options
  • 23-01-2018 6:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

I will be moving to London very shortly to start work and will be working in Canary Wharf. I am bogged down in my search on where to live so that I am near work and can commute easily preferably by walking most of the time (30-40 minutes max) so that I can cut down on transport costs as my starting salary isn't great (my budget for rent is £650 pcm max). I am looking at living in a shared apartment in Canary Wharf, Poplar, Limehouse, Stepney and lsle of Dogs due to proximity. Originally I was looking at Stafford because it seems my money for rent can go further but it doesn't make sense when I factor in the cost of a monthly travelcard.

Any advice would be appreciated on the areas I mentioned, what they are like to live in and what ones to avoid.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Terre wrote: »
    I will be moving to London very shortly to start work and will be working in Canary Wharf. I am bogged down in my search on where to live so that I am near work and can commute easily preferably by walking most of the time (30-40 minutes max) so that I can cut down on transport costs as my starting salary isn't great (my budget for rent is £650 pcm max). I am looking at living in a shared apartment in Canary Wharf, Poplar, Limehouse, Stepney and lsle of Dogs due to proximity. Originally I was looking at Stafford because it seems my money for rent can go further but it doesn't make sense when I factor in the cost of a monthly travelcard.

Any advice would be appreciated on the areas I mentioned, what they are like to live in and what ones to avoid.

Thanks

You could expand your search across the river to Greenwich area. Get a bicycle and its 25 minute cycle or 50 minute walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Terre wrote: »

Thanks

Also when you're factoring in the cost of a travel card you also have to consider that you will be traveling around the city for leisure too, not just for work. I assume you meant Stratford and not Stafford.

So a travel card for zones 1-3 costs £153 or a zone 2-3 would cost only £98

Even if you walk to work every day you will likely easily spend £8 per day if you're traveling around the city for leisure. So if you spend 10 days a month doing stuff around the city thats going to add up to the most of your travel card price.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

Have a look around canada water. just on the other side of the river. very residential

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Terre

I was also thinking about the Greenwich area but thought a 50 minute walk might be a stretch. Sorry I meant Stratford, again it doesn't make sense to base myself there when I can find similar rent prices nearer to Canary Wharf/city. I was hoping to use transport for leisure by taking the bus or setting aside a budget (£60 would give me 20 trips in zone 1-2 plan to use for weekends mostly) for the tube per month.

Thanks I haven't looked into Canada water.

Advertisement