Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Well Done Fingal County Council

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Great news! I'll keep an eye out, haven't noticed any just yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

Can we get these signs put up too?

Never mind minimum passing distance, how about minimum following distance?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭cython

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Well Done Fingal County Council!
    these signs have started to appear on roads around North County Dublin!

Mayo County Council...your no longer alone! :)

https://scontent.fdub5-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/26952533_10213143460160115_6202073040924709551_o.jpg?oh=3cd06f3b8678f3803ed2fde47ddfcfed&oe=5AF01A4E

To be fair, Wexford CoCo also joined this initiative a while back ;): https://i1.wp.com/www.safecyclingireland.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/IMG_1074.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Is there a public works website where digital versions of these signs are available?

This one is my favourite:

image.jpg

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

https://scontent.fdub5-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/26952533_10213143460160115_6202073040924709551_o.jpg?oh=3cd06f3b8678f3803ed2fde47ddfcfed&oe=5AF01A4E

Are those around the estuary?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,551 ✭✭✭billyhead

I noticed them between blakes cross and Lusk and Lusk and Rush. fair play to the Co co but whether it will make a difference and the questions involved in enforcing it is another days discussion

• Registered Users Posts: 7,133 ✭✭✭plodder

There's one just outside the Naul on the R122 as well. Very welcome development.

Another thing I noticed today, not Fingal, but the Clontarf rd. bike path, they are widening the path at the carpark near the Sheds pub, so cars parked won't be jutting out onto the cycle path any more. [ed] I see it was mentioned in another thread. Never mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

i was in mayo yesterday.
    I seen them. how could you miss them , they are very bright. nearly startle you

good job .

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

They're very amateur looking, could they not have at least tried to copy the vein of legal signage?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,215 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Stheno wrote: »
    Are those around the estuary?

Not sure about the estuary..the photo I linked to is near Balbriggan on the Naul Road.

• Advertisement

cython wrote: »
    To be fair, Wexford CoCo also joined this initiative a while back ;): https://i1.wp.com/www.safecyclingireland.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/IMG_1074.jpg

I stand corrected...

• Registered Users Posts: 81,186 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Are these signs yet in the rules of the road? If they are not they should stop blowing money on placing them around the place until they are. Should the signs not be in Irish too or the Gaeilgeoir brigade will be all over them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

They're very amateur looking, could they not have at least tried to copy the vein of legal signage?

Agreed the black background dosen't make for good visibility either. It should really be a standard road sign where as that more like an ad type sign.

Are these signs yet in the rules of the road? If they are not they should stop blowing money on placing them around the place until they are. Should the signs not be in Irish too or the Gaeilgeoir brigade will be all over them?

No more negative waves please! 😜

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xyh-JpWdGmQ

• Registered Users Posts: 9,551 ✭✭✭billyhead

Have to agree on the visibility part relating to these signs. Its easy for a cyclist to spot them but a driver may not pay attention. if they were like road warning signs it would be ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,956 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

billyhead wrote: »
    I noticed them between blakes cross and Lusk and Lusk and Rush....
    plodder wrote: »
    There's one just outside the Naul on the R122 as well....
    Not sure about the estuary..the photo I linked to is near Balbriggan on the Naul Road.
    Spotted one today on the Lusk to Skerries Road (R127) just outside Lusk

(I didn't think it was particularly noticeable for a non-cycling motorist).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,365 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

they look like the ones designed by the staying alive at 1.5 campaign, so not adapted in any meaningful way for the road signs.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Wexford has them along the Atlantic Coast Eurovelo route since at least the Summer.

Wexford has them along the Atlantic Coast Eurovelo route since at least the Summer.

Ok ok I get it! I was wrong..Mayo was not alone! It was just a bit of humour.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,133 ✭✭✭plodder

I think reversing the colour scheme would make them more visible. Background in yellow with details/text in black. Otherwise, the design is pretty good, imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Yes, the 1.5m passing distance for cyclists is in the rules of the road and has been for quite a while. It's not yet written into legislation though as it seems drivers don't give a damn about the actual Rules of the Road!
    It is recommended that you give extra space (at least 1.5 metres) when
    overtaking a cyclist, as they may need to avoid uneven road surfaces and
    obstacles. This is particularly important on wet or windy days.

Well done FCC, I haven't seen any of these out my side (Ongar/Blanch/Castleknock) which they also cover, hopefully soon though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

I saw these on the Skerries road after the Blake’s Cross turn. Well done Fingal. They are quite easily seen and I expect will get the message across. I would imagine they can’t look too much like regular road signs as there have is no minimum passing provision in the law at the moment. Otherwise anyone could put a sign that looked like a real road sign for advertising or whatever.

So go easy the negative vibes please

Advertisement