Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation Style Controller For PC

Options
  • 23-01-2018 12:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭

Hey all

Looking for a playstation style controller for my laptop.

Can anyone Recommend one in particular?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

You can use the DualShock 4 now, as they released drivers for it a while ago. Can be used with a USB cable, or via Bluetooth.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭bigphil2

They Dualshock 4 is your best bet as said above,and lots of games,have PS4 contoller set ups included..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

I got gifted a Dualshock 4. Works fine on steam games because the steam client has beta support for it. You can rebind buttons, assign functions/macros to the touchpad and even set the light colour/brightness to whatever you want.

It also has native (yet sometimes unreliable) support on most linux distros without steam at all. If you're looking to use it on non-steam games without proxying it through the steam client, you may not have much luck on a windows machine. Dualshock 3 can run with some tinkering on windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭KilOit

Not sure if it works but the new Nvidia Shield controller is one of the best i've used.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

I know you said Playstation style but the xbox one controller has bluetooth in it since 2016

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Went looking for the drivers for dual shock but the website is down, keep getting a bandwidth error message

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Kiith wrote: »
    You can use the DualShock 4 now, as they released drivers for it a while ago. Can be used with a USB cable, or via Bluetooth.
    I had a nightmare of a time using a DS4 on PC for most games even after installing multiple keymapping programs etc. So much so that in the end I just gave up on it and bought an Xbox one, even though I prefer the DS4 quite a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Billy86 wrote: »
    I had a nightmare of a time using a DS4 on PC for most games even after installing multiple keymapping programs etc. So much so that in the end I just gave up on it and bought an Xbox one, even though I prefer the DS4 quite a bit.

Managed to get ds4windows downloaded and installed. The games I play are on Steam so the pad has being working fine 👠also my brother had a spare dual shock so got it for free

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Ah yeah, on Steam you should be OK for the most part - the likes of GOG and others are where a lot of my troubles came in and for free who's going to argue? :p

Though if you're buying something off Amazon in future I would possibly suggest getting a €10-15 type cheap one just to be safe, because buying a game on a Friday after a long week's work only for the controller not to work would be a serious pain in the arse. This worked really well for £14 (their prices fluctuate but the likes of Rii and EasySMX stuff is always on 'sale' and has consistently been very good for me between a keyboard, two headsets, PC remote and controller) - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01KVBL4U2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 . Likewise you might get a cheap, older Logitech one in a shop in Ireland for around the same price though it would likely be wired at that low cost.

No huge need or anything, just a heads up because the tinfoil hatter in me reckons Microsoft intentionally make Playstation controllers awkward to use on a good few games so it's not a bad idea to have a safe, cheap backup. Can't remember which ones, but I had a few that insisted the left stick was the d-pad and vice-versa no matter what I did in DS4Windows (and one or two other equivalents).

• Advertisement
Advertisement