Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendations for flooring fitters Dublin area?

Options
  • 23-01-2018 10:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

Hi, we are looking for someone to install our laminate flooring in South Dublin (we considered doing it ourselves but we were told in the shop that it would be too hard) and we were wondering if anyone had a recommendation for a good fitter. Thanks a million!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭jmBuildExt

How did the shop know what you were able/not able to do? :)

If you still want to have a go at it yourself, installing laminate flooring is towards the lower end of the DIY scale. Its a big jigsaw and the pieces are easy to find :)

Gets a bit tricky when it comes to sorting out the skirting boards. You can sometimes tuck the laminate under it, but almost always you will need to take off some, or all, of the skirting and replace after putting down the laminate.
    Other option, if you don't want to mess around with skirting is to put a piece of beading where the floor meets the skirting.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Haidee_Hammond

jmBuildExt wrote: »
    How did the shop know what you were able/not able to do? :)

If you still want to have a go at it yourself, installing laminate flooring is towards the lower end of the DIY scale. Its a big jigsaw and the pieces are easy to find :)

Gets a bit tricky when it comes to sorting out the skirting boards. You can sometimes tuck the laminate under it, but almost always you will need to take off some, or all, of the skirting and replace after putting down the laminate.
    Other option, if you don't want to mess around with skirting is to put a piece of beading where the floor meets the skirting.

I was also wondering about the cutting the planks, I am not sure of where I can rent /buy the equipment. Any ideas? I thought we should be able to, we like this sort of thing, but the guy in the shop put me a bit off.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭jmBuildExt

It sounds like you probably haven't under taken anything like this before, that's maybe why the guy suggested you get someone to do it.
    But if you're interested in doing it, you have to start somewhere - as everyone did.

What size is the room? Is it an expensive floor? If its a small room (eg bedroom), floor not too expensive, it might be ideal time/place to have a go.

The equipment you need is a measuring tape, a saw, a pencil and a blade/scissors to cut the underlay.
    Go and buy them in B&Q and you will have them for your next project.
    Use the saw to cut the planks... if you've never used one before ask one of your friends who has to help you get going. You will get better as you go.
    Laminate can be forgiving, if you butcher a cut, the ends of the boards will be covered up at the end anyway. Just make sure you dont cut off the wrong end....
    Use google and youtube... lots of tutorials/videos!

You don't necessarily need any power tools - but as you get a bit more advanced you might decide you want to take some of the labour out of your projects.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Haidee_Hammond

You are quite right, I have no experience with that kind of job, but only one way to learn! I did place a vinyl flooring once, but that is basically sticking and cutting. The skirting board removal and, well, sawing instead of just cutting are the main tricky parts I saw. For the record, the guy in the shop didn't ask anything he just said he was quite handy himself and that he wouldn't dare to, so I worried it might be trickier than it sounds. Thanks a lot for the tip! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

I used a bench saw for cutting my laminate floor. I did 3 bedrooms and a small living room having done nothing of the sort before.

Some tips:
    Remove the skirting
    Ensure the floor is flat and install some underlay. If it's a concrete floor you'll need a vapour barrier first.
    Depending on the blade you may need to cut the floor upside down to stop the laminate splintering.
    Get a floor fitting kit. It has a pull bar, knocking block and spacers. And a rubber mallet.
    Have a good jigsaw to hand too. Not all cuts will be straight.
    Wear kneepads.
    Watch a few videos on YouTube.

The hardest parts are objects like fireplace, rads etc. Also we had a wall in the room that I had to cut around. The first cut, i cut the wrong part away so make sure you check and double check before cutting.

• Advertisement
Advertisement