Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway marriage counselling?

Options
  • 23-01-2018 6:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi just wondering if anyone has any recommendations for a marriage counselor in Galway. Weve been on the rocks for a while and I'll do anything to make it better. I don't know if it's going to help but I feel like we have to try. Don't want to waste my time with a counselor that isn't going to help either.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,989 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Your gp might be able to suggest, best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭georgina toadbum

Have a search through the Irish Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy website.

https://www.iacp.ie/

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I’d avoid Accord if I were you, unless you would like religious Catholic dogma flavoring your counseling sessions.

An independent private marriage/couples counselor with good credentials would be what you’re looking for. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,522 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Word of caution OP.

Counsellors don't have quick fixes or easy answers. They will facilitate discussion and focus it in some ways but they cannot fix the issues you are having. It's for you and your partner to do that, with some guidance.
    Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Word of caution OP.

Posts like this make me wish boards had downvotes. OP asks for recommendations and you pretend to offer advice while insulting OP's intelligence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,522 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Posts like this make me wish boards had downvotes. OP asks for recommendations and you pretend to offer advice while insulting OP's intelligence.

Thanks for the input.

Some people might see counselling as a guarantee that things will improve. They can therefore become disillusioned when they find out that there are no guarantees.
    It is nothing like TV where the counsellor listens intently and then says you need to do A and B and things will improve and that's it.

I've seen several people turn away from the idea of counselling because they didn't see immediate improvements. It can take a lot of time to find the right counsellor who you click with and then to start to work on your reasons for being there.

I'm not judging the OP but their comment about not wanting to waste time made me think they might think it would be a quick fix.

Hence the word of caution. That is all it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

JupiterKid wrote: »
    I’d avoid Accord if I were you, unless you would like religious Catholic dogma flavoring your counseling sessions.

An independent private marriage/couples counselor with good credentials would be what you’re looking for. Best of luck.

In the past these have had some of the better psychologists and counsellors in Galway working for them. I'm pretty sure I've know someone working for them who isn't religious. I wouldn't rule them out until you've rang up and spoken to them and see to what they can offer to someone who doesn't want any religious sort of input. They're in the business of this stuff a long time. I know people who did courses in counselling and psychology who were anxious to get work placements there so I think they must be good, or were good in the past anyway.

Actually for anyone interested there's a very interesting podcast series by Ester Perel that is basically just live marriage counseling sessions. It's not the kind of counseling you'd get here. Each one is an hr of content from people who've tried counseling in the past that hasn't been successful and go to an expert for intensive 3 hr sessions that try to break the logjam they're in. The focus tends to be infidelity but usually, it's a symptom of deeper separate issues that arise in lots of relationships. It's often quite raw but definitely an interesting and thought-provoking listen. It's called Where Should We Begin by Ester Perel and most are on Youtube. Otherwise you have to pay for them.

JupiterKid wrote: »

Any excuse for a bit of catholic bashing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭sgthighway

I would recommend Accord. Religion is not a factor when dealing with them but that might depend on who you get. Its free but they "like" you to make a donation every week. That can be what you want. I gave €20 a session.

• Advertisement

sgthighway wrote: »
    I would recommend Accord. Religion is not a factor when dealing with them but that might depend on who you get. Its free but they "like" you to make a donation every week. That can be what you want. I gave €20 a session.

I spoke to someone who used to work there this evening actually and asked about the religious aspect and he said he would never mention religion or God but the couple themselves could address it. He said if they did fair enough but he trained and worked as psychologist/counsellor, not a religious guide etc and found the idea mad that he'd be introducing conversation about religion into a therapy session.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 woodie136

I appreciate that thanks.
    I know the work has to come from us i just need someone to point us in the right direction

woodie136 wrote: »
    I appreciate that thanks.
    I know the work has to come from us i just need someone to point us in the right direction

That's a great attitude. Good luck Woodie. Really hope it all works out for you and your partner.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

@ax530 - please note that asking for updates is not allowed in this forum. We do not wish to place any pressure on the OP to reply.

dudara

Advertisement