Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Weird Object Found in Water

• 22-01-2018 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭

Hi,

I hope somebody could help me with this.

This has happened to us twice now recently and both times to my girlfriend. I'll try to be as detailed as possible so someone might know what it is.

First time, about three or four weeks ago she was drinking a glass of water and about half way through she noticed a bit floating at the top of it. It was about 1cm long and had a thin vein or spine running down it, kind of translucent and had a small fleshy but thin body on the end. Kind of like a string of tabacco or, what I first thought it to be, a bit of snot.
    She didn't finish that glass of water anyway, decided to leave it over night to see if this weird object changes shape or anything. It didn't. It wasn't moving or anything but could definitely hold up to the water.
    So we chucked it out and I thought no more about it until tonight.
    She was having a glass of coke with dinner and half way down the glass noticed the very same mystery object floating on top of her drink. Almost identical to the one from the other week. This time I took it out of the glass and took a couple photos of it.

It doesn't move but it does look like it's some sort of large flea or something.
    This glass of coke had ice in it. Ice that came originally from our tap as did the glass of water previous.
    My only logical conclusion is that these things are in our tap water. We live in North Cork City, not an area known for having bad quality water, I actually like the taste of it. But now I'm concerned a bit.
    How many of these have I drank unknowingly, and might they be parasites of some sort?

These were the clearest photos I could take with my camera so they're a bit blurry but hopefully it gives an idea and can be identified.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭JoeyJoe93

Boards won't let you post images over 4mb in size so blurry will have to do

• Registered Users Posts: 5,071 ✭✭✭Mech1

seahorse?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,418 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Mech1 wrote: »
    seahorse?

Looks like it, but how on earth would something like that end up in a domestic water supply?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,231 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

First thought was seahorse as well, right kind shape

I'd say face hugger

• Advertisement

I'm fairly confident it isn't a seahorse because it has no definition to it.
    My best bet is some sort of water flea.

I'm going to be buying a Brita anyway!

I can see where you're getting sea horse from though.

What looks like a face is just the same as the tail. It's like one long spine going all the way through it and the body is just a fleshy kind of see through lump.

It's just so weird how this exact same thing has shown up twice now, the last one was almost identical

Is your cold water mains fed?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭amber2

http://www.generalanalytical.ie

They test your water, don’t know how much it costs though.

The water is mains fed alright. Thinking maybe it could have been after all the flooding the water supply could have been a little contaminated.

Thanks for the link!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

Check your dishwasher filter? Is there something sprouting in a pipe or something....

Mixer tap? Sealed water tank?

I live in a flat so I don't have a dishwasher or much knowledge about the water source. It's not a mixer tap anyway. Maybe it could do with replacing anyway, god knows how long it's been there before I got here.

JoeyJoe93 wrote: »
    We live in North Cork City, not an area known for having bad quality water, I actually like the taste of it.

Well maybe they've been adding a little something to the water and now you know its not just the water lol

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,660 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Might be one of a bigger species of water flea.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭darjeeling

My guess is rat-tailed maggots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

I'm no expert but it does look like the internal structure of a big water flea.

darjeeling wrote: »
    My guess is rat-tailed maggots.

A rat tailed maggot in my Mi Wadi. Lovely!

Advertisement