Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking to Extend - 1st Step Advice Please

Options
  • 22-01-2018 4:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

Hi Folks,

Hoping someone may be able to assist with advising what’s the best way to go about getting an indication whether an extension / refurb is actually possible.

For a long time we’ve been discussing about whether we can extend our house and create additional space but we’ve no idea whether what we want to do is in fact possible from a building perspective and if it is even possible could we stretch financially to actually proceed with it. We’ve now decided that we want to look to get it done but we don’t want to waste anyone’s time and don’t want to spend money unnecessarily and all the talk of builders, architects, engineers, QS etc. means we haven’t’ a clue what way we should go about it and who we should contact and what the sequencing is………even at this v early stage!

We know in broad terms what we want to achieve e.g. the type of extension (single story extension), put in an ensuite (not sure if there’s enough space), convert attic (not sure if it’s possible as stairs is against gable end of house), upgrade insulation, windows, heating and then redo flooring, plastering and a variety of other cosmetic items.

If we wanted to get an indicative quote, even to nearest €10,000 is that possible by getting a few builders to call out and price the job or do they need something much more detailed even to give a quote of this nature? Or do you get an architect to call out first and tell them your ideas and could they give a ball park cost? Do builders / architects charge for something like this or is it a free quote?

If we have in our head a max budget of €x and they come back with a quote of €x + €50k at least we’ll know it can’t be done. We want to avoid spending unnecessary money only to find out it’s not even remotely possible to achieve what we want.

It’s a 3 Bed Semi D in South Dublin and the house itself is c. 94sqm and we’re talking adding c. 20sqm. I know an architect may have much better ideas than us in terms of the use of space and getting in light so I think we’d definitely need them involved once we knew it was within budget.

Ultimately if for whatever reason it is not possible we may look at moving home in the future if it made better financial sense.

I’d be grateful if anyone had any advice on the best way to proceed.

Thanks All!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Moving2017

Speak to a few builders, most likely they'll want to come to the site, and you can talk them through your plans. They will ask your budget, and then they'll provide a quote for the work you want done.

Some quotes are quite detailed and/or itemised, and you can decide if you need to make changes to your wish list depending on what comes back!

Also, be sure to check planning regulations, as depending on where you want to extend you may need to get an architect to do up drawings etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Time2GetFit

Thanks Moving2017 for the info.

Yeah I have a recommendation of a couple of builders but just wasn’t sure did I need something more detailed to give them rather than a broad overview.

Probably sounds strange but if I give them my budget is there a risk they’ll adjust the quote to meet the max budget rather than a ‘true’ quote?

I suppose either way if we do proceed we’ll be looking at getting details so we can do a like with like comparison.

Assume builders still do a free quote? Had heard some now charge and deduct it from the bill if you choose them.

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

I was a total newbie to getting an extension about 2 years ago but just dived in!
    I wrote a summary of it in this thread
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057679411

We got 4 or 5 builders around and explained what we wanted in general terms. We then 'stole' some of the ideas from various rough plans/thoughts the builders outlined, before picking the builder we felt most comfortable with (and after checking out some of his previous work).
    If you've any questions, just let me know

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Time2GetFit

Thanks jay0109-that thread is really interesting and gives me a much better appreciation of how the process works.

Also a good bit of info about the conversations around ‘extras’ and what to look out for just so there’s clarity from all sides!

If possible could you PM me details of the builder you used and the schedule of works?

Looks like a great extension - congrats!

Advertisement