Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Examiner for state exams

Options
  • 22-01-2018 3:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi all,

I acted as an examiner for the state exams last year, 2017 and have shown interest for the position this year by reapplying. However, I may be on holidays for the first 2 days of the examining period I.e 3rd and 4th of July. This would mean I would miss the conference in athlone where I pick the papers up!

Does anyone know is it possible to pick the papers up on, say the 5th of July and start correcting then? Or is it strictly commencing only from the date of the conference?

Many thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

americano1 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I acted as an examiner for the state exams last year, 2017 and have shown interest for the position this year by reapplying. However, I may be on holidays for the first 2 days of the examining period I.e 3rd and 4th of July. This would mean I would miss the conference in athlone where I pick the papers up!

Does anyone know is it possible to pick the papers up on, say the 5th of July and start correcting then? Or is it strictly commencing only from the date of the conference?

Many thanks in advance!

You would be required to attend the marking conference.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

If you can’t be at the conference, you can’t mark. There tends to be a lot of clarification needed even having been at the conference for most examiners. There’s no way they’ll let you do it without having been at the conference. I’ve never heard of that happening and I’ve been marking a long time.

They are usually short of markers for the last few years though so it might be possible to switch levels, exams or subjects. It’s unlikely they’d want to lose an experienced examiner entirely for the year. I’d give them a ring and see what they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Adv examiner here.

No conference, no correction, no exception.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 americano1

RealJohn wrote: »
    If you can’t be at the conference, you can’t mark. There tends to be a lot of clarification needed even having been at the conference for most examiners. There’s no way they’ll let you do it without having been at the conference. I’ve never heard of that happening and I’ve been marking a long time.

They are usually short of markers for the last few years though so it might be possible to switch levels, exams or subjects. It’s unlikely they’d want to lose an experienced examiner entirely for the year. I’d give them a ring and see what they say.

They’re quiet keen on keeping experienced examiners, especially those that have been doing it year in year out. Judging from last years conference, a good portion of examiners were very young teachers. Adding to this, they still found it difficult to keep examiners.

I shot them an email on the SEC website earlier on today, not sure when I’ll hear back from them - a phone call could be best. Even a clarification of dates when conferences will be on would be helpful as I can plan around it!

They’re quiet keen on keeping experienced examiners, especially those that have been doing it year in year out. Judging from last years conference, a good portion of examiners were very young teachers. Adding to this, they still found it difficult to keep examiners.

I shot them an email on the SEC website earlier on today, not sure when I’ll hear back from them - a phone call could be best. Even a clarification of dates when conferences will be on would be helpful as I can plan around it!

They are keen on keeping examiners, but they are not keen on hiring examiners who have not attended the conference, it just doesn't happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 americano1

They are keen on keeping examiners, but they are not keen on hiring examiners who have not attended the conference, it just doesn't happen.

Would you know what dates the conferences are on this year?

It's different dates for different subjects. I don't even know the dates for my own conference this year (normally I could work it out) but I discovered today that my subject has moved on the LC timetable which suggests that the conference will move too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

They tend to be the same length of time after the exam from year to year. I haven’t been given the dates of the conference (I think) but I’d put money on what date it will be but that’s only for my subject and level. The SEC should probably be able to tell you when it’ll be but I don’t know that they necessarily would before the appointments have been made.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Wouldn't you be marking the sample 20/30 blind then - just the initial marking scheme? Conference is important because other answers will be decided upon obviously you know this as an experienced examiner. Even the 'putting aside' your scripts for collection when you feel like it would mess up others work in the SEC.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭fun.bobby1981

I've been marking JCHL Maths the last few years and I just got a letter offering LCOL.
    Just wondering if anyone knows what the rate of pay per paper for LCOL Maths is?

Just trying to find out if it's worth the extra work, as OL papers will have a much higher proportion of low level papers and will be a LOT messier and harder to interpret against the scheme.

Basically, anyone know is it worth marking LCOL over JCHL for Maths?

Thanks,

• Advertisement
Advertisement