Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alexa and Smart plugs

Options
  • 22-01-2018 3:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭

Hi there,
    Sorry about this, and am sure it has been answered loads of times.
    I got an Alexa at xmas and am interested in investing in the smart home concept.

We are looking at getting Hive installed which I believe works with Alexa.

I suppose my first question is regards to smart plugs. What do i need to get to be able to tell alex to turn on/off a particular plug.

And the next thing is lights, and whats needed there.

Finally, we have a smart sony bravia and whats needed there to turn tv on/off.

Thanks and appreciate your time.
    DB

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

You get a compliant socket.
    Set it up so it works off it's own app on your phone, have all the account details ready
    Then on the Alexa app you add a "Skill" for the socket you have. It will prompt for your log in and password for the sockets web account.
    Alexa just becomes another way to control the socket

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭jmBuildExt

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭DublinBeaker

Thanks for the advice. Are those wemo plugs 40 plugs each?

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭jmBuildExt

Thanks for the advice. Are those wemo plugs 40 plugs each?

Yeah pricey enough yolks. Edit: you might get a deal on them from time to time if you keep an eye out.
    There's cheapo alternatives - which are hacks involving raspberry pi and the cheapo radio controlled sockets.... but they take a bit of know how - if you are interested I can post links...?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

I have it working with a TP-Link plug but I find it's a bit intermittent - sometimes she'll tell me that she can't connect to the TP Link servers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭getoffthepot

I find them pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

It could be my internet connection rather than an Alexa or TP Link issue.

Advertisement