Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interview - What to tell manager

Options
  • 22-01-2018 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I'd appreciate some input on the following situation and or how to turn it to my best advantage:

I am in a new role - 7 months now - having moved internally within my dept, and within the PS.
    I enjoy the new role as its more to my interest and where I'd like to see my career progress to.

I have been called to interview for a role that would be a step up, but would be more closely aligned with the role I recently left (Administrative / Back Office / KPI analysis etc)

My real preference would be to stay in my current role but on a better salary.

What is the best method of approaching my manager (will have to be via email or phone) to notify or discuss the upcoming interview but also work in that I'm really only going for the interview as its more money.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,406 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Don't even mention the interview or discuss money with your manager until you have a written offer for the other job in your hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

As Dial Hard says.

Ultimately the key to this sort of negotiation is not to bluff. If the new job offers you significantly enough money to make it worth the move, then you have to be prepared to go for it in the event that your current role won't offer you more.

When you have the offer, you call up your boss and explain that this other role has been offered to you, that you really love your current job and want to stay, but the new job has offered you more.

If they offer you more, you take it and everyone's happy. If they tell you that they can't offer you more right now but can look at it "at your next review", then that's just stalling for time - getting you to let the other job offer go and hang on with bated breath for a salary review. In this instance, I can guarantee you the next review will be a disappointment.

If you bluff and don't plan on leaving no matter what they offer, then you're in a tight spot. If they don't offer anything more and you hang on anyway, you're permanently in a weakened position.

So never bluff, always be prepared to take the other job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

Thanks, I appreciate the replies.

I should say that both position are in the PS - so its sort of internal promotion.

The interview-position is a higher level and would be slightly more money initially (but I'd be on an improved increment scale) - reviews aren't part of our system yet unfortunately.

My current manager wouldn't necessarily be able to offer me anything initially - but an educated guess would be that he'd have to put in a Business Case for me to be 'upgraded' based on critical need to the project I'm working on and some additional duties that I'd take on.

I figure I'll have to go to interview and get offered a position and only then would they be likely to move on bettering my conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

If it's public sector, keep an eye on that pesky public sector bureaucracy. The rules may oblige you to inform your current manager before you apply for another position in the same organisation, and a failure to do so could have you disqualified immediately.

Best of luck.

Advertisement