Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Condensation trap in boiler

Options
  • 22-01-2018 12:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,779 ✭✭✭✭

been out today and emptied water out of the condensation trap in our condenser oil boiler, it was black dirty water - just wanted to check the outlet pipe as well whilst i was at it and that was clear .

It must just fill up and eventually exit out of the outlet pipe does it? - I checked the ball float inside and that was floating freely.

can anyone tell me what is the need for a trap? (i'm not going to remove it or anything, just curious) why don't the pipe from the condenser heat exchanger just exit out of the pipe and straight into the drain, without a need for a trap? - or is the trap there so it catches the crud which would otherwise could potentially block up a drain?

Even better why aren't they designed in a way that the outlet from the condenser unit just somehow exits into the boiler and just be burnt so it can just evaporate through the flue with the other gasses - negating the need for a trap and outlet pipe to a drain? - I am guessing that because the water from the condenser is acidic and could rot the inside of the boiler if it did that?

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

Because it would leak flue gas.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭jimf

jesus andy McIvor wouldn't get a look in with you

he could blow up a train with a packet of chewing gum and a toilet roll

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭agusta

Part of the condensate does go out the flue but not all.so you need a condensate drain. The condensate trap is basically a u bend and its purpose it to stop combustion gases from going out the condensate drain

• Registered Users Posts: 11,779 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

jimf wrote: »

MacGyver even ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭jimf

MacGyver even ;)

that was his brother :P:P:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,779 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

so the crux of the matter is that it was normal for it to be full of dirty black water then, because thats acting like a u-bend in a sink does, in the way a u-bend in the sink stops drain smells coming up through sink hole the u-bend in a condenser boiler stops the fumes from coming out the drain pipe?

so the crux of the matter is that it was normal for it to be full of dirty black water then, because thats acting like a u-bend in a sink does, in the way a u-bend in the sink stops drain smells coming up through sink hole the u-bend in a condenser boiler stops the fumes from coming out the drain pipe?
    If it full of dirty black water,the boiler is due a service too.
    Yes it stops flue gases going out the condensate drain
    It also stops back smells if the condensate pipe is connected to a waste stack

jimf wrote: »

Jim ,the chewing gum was semtex:D

Advertisement