We've partnered up with to offer a space where you can talk directly to Peter from and get an exclusive discount code for a free job listing. If you are recruiting or know anyone else who is please check out the forum here.
If you have a new account but can't post, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help to verify your email address. Thanks :)

Degree to teach in Adult Education

  • 21-01-2018 4:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2 Courthsestreet

    I am currently studying Level 5 Healthcare. I intend on advancing to 3rd level in order to obtain a degree in order to teach.
    I understand that a level 8 degree in the area is required plus a teaching council award.
    My question is what degree is suitable. Would social care area be suitable? The only degree in healthcare specifically is in management.
    I have discovered applied social sciences degree is not recognised by the teaching council. Any help is appreciated


  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭✭ Shoebox1926

    You don't necessarily need a degree to teach in further ed, I know many people with no qualifications at all and some who have a BA or Masters and no formal teaching qualifications working as FE teachers. Second level education requires a PME but further/adult education requirements are different. You can teach any subject in further education, social science wont permit you teach that subject at post primary level but you can teach it in FE. You can do a Hdip in further education in NUIGalway, marino college, NUIMaynooth university and another college in Dublin - I think its a private fee paying college, I forget the name of it. This will increase your chances of teaching in further ed but its by no means a requirement. - A train the trainer course would also help you to gain employment in adult education.

  • Registered Users Posts: 12 Julia68

    Actually, in order to teach in a College of Further Education, you need to have completed a teaching qualification and be registered with the Teaching Council. This has not always been the case and many teachers began teaching in the old VECs with just their primary degree. The rules however have changed and now all teachers are required to have a relevant teaching qualification. If you search Education Posts for vacancies you will see the qualifications required for each job. As mentioned in the previous post, several colleges run a postgrad dip in Adult and Further Education which fulfills this requirement. See the quote below from the Teaching Council Further Education: General and Programme Requirements for the Accreditation of Teacher Education Qualifications:

    Included in Regulation Five (Further Education) of those regulations is
    the requirement, with effect from 01 April 2013, for applicants for registration to have attained, inter alia, a Council approved further education teacher education qualifcation.

  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Courthsestreet

    Thank you. I appreciate it the advice.
    So would anyone know what would be required to teach Healthcare level 5. What degree would cover this? Thanks again for your help

  • Registered Users Posts: 12 Julia68

    As far as I know the best degree to have would be in Social Studies or even Nursing. Teachers in this area are hired based on their background and degree but in reality once established you could be asked to teach many unrelated modules. Your basic degree plus teaching qualification is what will get you in the door however.