Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheltenham 2018 - Horses back for more

Options
  • 21-01-2018 3:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭

Think it might be a good idea to get peoples thoughts on horses they are keen to see return again this year. We all know how crucial course form is & time again horses either take to the track or don't. Of the 28 (?) or so races, there are likely to be a few winning there for the 2nd time or having placed on the track, either at previous festivals or trials/other meetings at the track.

The biggest priced one I ever saw was son of flicka in the coral cup, and i recall like yesterday watching its price tumble from 66/1 to 16/1 on the day of the race. Everyone in the pub it seemed bar me joined in the gamble and it duly romped home. The horse was 2nd in the prior years coral cup to none other than sir des champs so even though his form had been poor in the run up, a big run wasn't beyond him.

Handicap entries out Feb 20th (ish) I think someone mentioned but Graded races will also see horses returning.

Anyway, we might find a few nuggets

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭posturingpat

The Young Master ran reasonably well last year in the Ultima when outpaced down the hill. Has dropped 10 or 11 pounds since and can now get into the Kim Muir over a bit further against a lower grade of animal. Mulholland's well able to target a day and have one spot on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭Goldcupfav

I've been backing Minella Rocco for the Gold Cup since Christmas. With questions marks over a few at the top of the market I think he is abit of a forgotten horse for the race. 2nd in it last year when imo Noel Fehily didn't give him the best of rides. Won the national hunt chase the year before last aswell. Seems John Joe gets him spot on for every festival and can't see why this year will be any different. 20-1 still available now and if coney island doesn't go for the race then Barry should be on board and you would think he would go off half that price on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭jimjamcos

Two in same race, Cross Country:

Cause of Causes - 4/1

Tiger Roll - 10/1

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

jimjamcos wrote:
    Tiger Roll - 10/1

His run at the December meeting was very eye catching.. Purely ran to gain experience over those obstacles

His run at the December meeting was very eye catching.. Purely ran to gain experience over those obstacles

Yep, be interesting to see if they do what they did with COC last year and give him a few spins down at Bolgers. Fine ew bet at the moment anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Holywell!

Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭BumperD

Singlefarmpayment was just touched off in the ultima last year if he gets in off a similar weight he will go close

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

The Young Master ran reasonably well last year in the Ultima when outpaced down the hill. Has dropped 10 or 11 pounds since and can now get into the Kim Muir over a bit further against a lower grade of animal. Mulholland's well able to target a day and have one spot on.

Feck I was hoping I was the only one . Sssshhhhhh . I'll be pounding him ew in whatever race he runs . I'm hoping for a big price !!.

They're doing their best to get Rock The World back down to his winning mark in last year's Johnny Henderson.

Theinval the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭BumperD

RTW had a wind op before last years grand annual

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭madmoose

Theinval at 33/1 now is a great ew price for the G Annual. Comes alive in the spring even if he doesn’t always win.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭piplip87

Un Temps Pour Tu. Whatever race he goes for I will back him. Won as outsider on last two festival starts. Cause if Causes is another one to keep an eye on in X Country.

piplip87 wrote:
    Un Temps Pour Tu. Whatever race he goes for I will back him. Won as outsider on last two festival starts. Cause if Causes is another one to keep an eye on in X Country.

UTPT misses festival. Pipe confirmed last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Goldcupfav wrote: »
    I've been backing Minella Rocco for the Gold Cup since Christmas. With questions marks over a few at the top of the market I think he is abit of a forgotten horse for the race. 2nd in it last year when imo Noel Fehily didn't give him the best of rides. Won the national hunt chase the year before last aswell. Seems John Joe gets him spot on for every festival and can't see why this year will be any different. 20-1 still available now and if coney island doesn't go for the race then Barry should be on board and you would think he would go off half that price on the day.

Was on last year, will be on again this year. Potential to go one better this year around.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭stretchaq

Will ballyalton go to any of the handicaps had a right wedge on him 2 years ago out there looks like playing with a handicap mark this year, 11 years old now but still think he might have a good handicap in him

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭useurowname

Native River, tough a teak, absolutely cracking attitude. Only touched off for second in the Gold Cup and that after a long and successful season. Will be campaigned for it this year, I think he'll be bang there again and as much as I think SizingJohn is class, I don't see him winning it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭handsfree2

I'll be backing anything that finished in the top six of last year's Martin Pipe that shows up in a handicap off a similar mark.

handsfree2 wrote: »
    I'll be backing anything that finished in the top six of last year's Martin Pipe that shows up in a handicap off a similar mark.

Coo Star Sivola will be on a good mark but over fences, not sure if it would sneak into the novice handicap chase though as that is now a 0-145

madmoose wrote: »
    Coo Star Sivola will be on a good mark but over fences, not sure if it would sneak into the novice handicap chase though as that is now a 0-145

I'm eyeing him up to follow up Tully east and ballyalton who ran well in the Martin Pipe before winning that race.

He would need to be around the 138-140 mark i would imagine to get in seeing as the weights for that race are always compressed.

• Advertisement

He would need to be around the 138-140 mark i would imagine to get in seeing as the weights for that race are always compressed.

Interesting, he has a couple of entries for Saturday. Perhaps they'll have him primed for a win to get his mark up.

If Thomas Campbell shows up in the Coral cup with a decent I'd be interested. It'll be interesting to see how he does tomorrow

This angle worked quite nicely for coo star sivola on Tuesday and I will be backing Thomas Campbell in the pertemps with this in mind too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

This angle worked quite nicely for coo star sivola on Tuesday and I will be backing Thomas Campbell in the pertemps with this in mind too.

Speaking of that Martin Pipe and the form, has there been any word why last years winner Champage Classic hasnt been since last season - he went on to beat Penhill in a Grade 1 in Punchestown - his form is really really strong. He ended the season on a mark of 151 as a maiden to put that into perspective Melo finished the year on 152 and came agonisingly cose to winning a champion hurlde

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭JimPa

danganabu wrote: »
    Speaking of that Martin Pipe and the form, has there been any word why last years winner Champage Classic hasnt been since last season - he went on to beat Penhill in a Grade 1 in Punchestown - his form is really really strong. He ended the season on a mark of 151 as a maiden to put that into perspective Melo finished the year on 152 and came agonisingly cose to winning a champion hurlde

Leg injury. Reported out for the season months ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

JimPa wrote: »
    Leg injury. Reported out for the season months ago.

Cheers, definitely one to keep an eye out on its return if it hasnt left a mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

danganabu wrote: »

And apparently he was the worst horse Gigginstown owned, if you were to believe Michael O'Leary :P

Re: previous festival form, Missed Approach who won the last race today was 2nd in the 4m National Hunt Chase last year.

Advertisement