Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Caught Cheating in Exam

• 21-01-2018 3:13pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12

I had a few sticky notes that were caught on me when going to the bathroom. I told the invigilator that I forgot that they were in my pocket. He walked off with them, and someone else came to say I could go ahead and use the bathroom.

It wasn't anything that would have made a huge difference to my grade. It wasn't until the second week of January that I got an email about it... so I had begun to think that I'd got away with it. But now I've a 'preliminary hearing' this Monday. It'll be awkward. I don't think I'd earn any good will for owning up?

I'm not quite sure what the best case scenario is here. Would it be that they'd just dock x % off my grade, or that they'd make me repeat the module. Worst case scenario, they're probably within their right to make me repeat the year!

I've read the rules since, but has anyone any advice on this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

I had a few sticky notes that were caught on me when going to the bathroom. I told the invigilator that I forgot that they were in my pocket. He walked off with them, and someone else came to say I could go ahead and use the bathroom.

It wasn't anything that would have made a huge difference to my grade. It wasn't until the second week of January that I got an email about it... so I had begun to think that I'd got away with it. But now I've a 'preliminary hearing' this Monday. It'll be awkward. I don't think I'd earn any good will for owning up?

I'm not quite sure what the best case scenario is here. Would it be that they'd just dock x % off my grade, or that they'd make me repeat the module. Worst case scenario, they're probably within their right to make me repeat the year!

I've read the rules since, but has anyone any advice on this?

Why are you asking this in the UL and UCC forum. Which exam board will you be appearing before. The rules are likely to be somewhat different.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Worst case scenario, they're probably within their right to make me repeat the year!

Worst case scenario is suspension or expulsion.
    The Discipline Committee shall be entitled to impose penalties including suspension or expulsion
    where, in its view, the gravity of the complaint or offence or the University disciplinary record of the
    offender shall so warrant.

Advertisement