Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jeep to pull 3.5 tonne mini digger and 4 tonne roller

Options
  • 21-01-2018 12:08am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31

Would I need a Nissan Patrol or would a cruiser or pajero do? I had a Terrano that pulled the digger before so don’t need killing power.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31 Dj Tom

Just to clarify I wouldn’t be pulling the digger and roller together. Let’s not get too carried away with the weights here and permissible weights, rub the hard on out some where else.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Land Cruiser Amazon 4.2 or Patrol GU4 4.2 will pull it no problem, but to stay legal you need a truck.
    Some Transits were played to pull much more than others.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭twofish101

If the digger weighs 3500 Kg and an Ifor williams plant trailer weighs 670 -890 kgs depending on the spec you choose, you are over weight, as light goods vehicles are limited to max 3500 kgs, as said above you need a truck to be legal.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Theanswers

Land Rover Discovery 2, 3, 4 or 5.

Range Rover p38, L322 or L405.

I know the Range Rovers where designed for 5 tonne plus (braked), but had to limited to 3.5 for regulations.

Land Rovers entire fleet is the best selection of tow vehicles available from any manufacturer.

Theanswers wrote: »
    Land Rover Discovery 2, 3, 4 or 5.

Range Rover p38, L322 or L405.

I know the Range Rovers where designed for 5 tonne plus (braked), but had to limited to 3.5 for regulations.

Land Rovers entire fleet is the best selection of tow vehicles available from any manufacturer.
    Landrovers are great tow vehicles I agree have one myself. however the Law states max limit of 3500 kgs towed by a light goods vehicle into which category all landrovers fall. I saw a Renault traffic (max towing 2000kgs) last week towing a tri-axled plant trailer with a 3 ton (3000kg) digger on it. The van was pulling it however I dread to think what would happen in an emergency.
    Towing weight for a good few vehicles on this site http://www.ukvans.com/spec.asp?manufacturer=Ford&model=Transit%20350%202.4%20TDCi%20LWB%20m/r%20115

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭TrailerBob

I've said it before, and I'll say it again...

Pulling big weight with any decent 4x4 is no problem (I have pulled a 17 ton artic unit out of a ditch with the landcruiser)

Stopping big weight IS a problem.

I have found that the people willing to ignore the weights are often the same people who ignore trailer maintenance or brakes and lights. Towing weight limits are there to protect people from themselves.

I think there was a model of Land Rover 110 or long defender that had a higher capacity in the UK but not here

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Dj Tom wrote: »
    Just to clarify I wouldn’t be pulling the digger and roller together. Let’s not get too carried away with the weights here and permissible weights, rub the hard on out some where else.

Going by that attitude I'd say OP doesn't give a toss about the law. Probably disregards the 80km/h limit when towing too.
    Should be banned off the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Testacalda

Given the fact that the OP joined boards.ie this month and is already banned, I would imagine he is just a troll trying to wind up people up by asking about things that are against the rules

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭ballinadog

My Land Rover Defender is stamped to pull a train of 6tn. I always thought that if ya had the trailer license to pull up to 7.5tn it was legal as everything was within what they were stamped capable of doing?

Train weight is the total including vehicle and trailer...

• Advertisement

TrailerBob wrote: »
    Train weight is the total including vehicle and trailer...

Aye so it could legally pull the 3.5tn mini digger? Jeep is 1.7tn plus say 0.8tn for the trailer?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

ballinadog wrote: »
    My Land Rover Defender is stamped to pull a train of 6tn. I always thought that if ya had the trailer license to pull up to 7.5tn it was legal as everything was within what they were stamped capable of doing?

Checked mine and total train weight allowed is 6550 kgs.
    Vehicle 1850 unladen
    With 1200 payload 3050
    Leaving 3500 for trailer and contents.

You can tow more with a NATO style hitch and coupled brakes I think.

ballinadog wrote: »
    Aye so it could legally pull the 3.5tn mini digger? Jeep is 1.7tn plus say 0.8tn for the trailer?

No, because the jeep is counted at its gross weight (m.a.m) which is either 2.8 ton or 3.5 ton..

Vehicle 1850 unladen
    With 1200 payload 3050

Yours must be a 110? Mine is only a 90

Vehicle 1850 unladen
    With 1200 payload 3050

NATO hitch tends to be 5.5 ton, but yeah, air brakes needed

TrailerBob wrote: »
    NATO hitch tends to be 5.5 ton, but yeah, air brakes needed
    I would think more licence as well :-)

Of course.. but let's not go there... pretty soon we'll have pages of quoted text from the rsa website from people whose trailer experience is limited to staying in a caravan in wexford

• Registered Users Posts: 73,390 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

OP is sitebanned since a few days ago.

Advertisement