Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suggestions on how to re-divide 2 rooms that were knocked into one

Options
  • 20-01-2018 8:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Not sure if this is Interior Design or DIY but I am wondering if anyone would have any ideas.

A couple of years ago we bought an old 3 bedroom terraced house, the rooms are not very big. At some point the previous owner knocked the (front) living room and (back) dining room into one, creating a large square opening between the two rooms.

No further work was done. :rolleyes: There are still doors into each room. There are no double doors or anything fitted into the opening. There were even two fireplaces - I have removed one of them.

I am trying to figure out a way of dividing the rooms - but since we plan on "properly" reconfiguring the house with an extension etc, in a few years, we don't want to spend too much money. An estimate for folding double doors was €2,500, but this would be a waste as they would probably be removed completely when we get the extension done.

Currently our dogs stay in the dining room, so we fitted a wooden barrier (see photo). There's nothing more permanent than a temporary solution... :o

I was thinking of fitting some kind of a folding room divider, like something made of old doors, but I think that this would be difficult to secure (the dogs would definitely try to figure a way around it), and I would worry about it falling on someone.

I thought that a couple of these KARALIS Room Dividers from B&Q would be a pretty good solution, but they're not available in Ireland.

I have thought that a couple of curtains might work too

I'm wondering if there is anything I haven't thought of?

439284.JPG

The wooden barrier is always there, I put the curtain up when I was painting and i haven't taken it down.

439285.JPG

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Stud partition with plasterboard. Tape and joint and a coat of paint.

Job done!!

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭blah

mfceiling wrote: »
    Stud partition with plasterboard. Tape and joint and a coat of paint.

Job done!!

Sounds like I could do that myself...? It wouldn't need to get it plastered?

Although I do like having it open plan for entertaining (I have had exactly 1 party in 3 years :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Such an easy job for a competent diyer!!

Look up youtube and you'll get all the help you need.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭bleary

Why do you want to split them up. Is it heat privacy or some other reason?
    Ikea have a.number or room divider. You could also fit one of their sliding wardrobe doors over.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭blah

bleary wrote: »
    Why do you want to split them up. Is it heat privacy or some other reason?
    Ikea have a.number or room divider. You could also fit one of their sliding wardrobe doors over.

Mostly to keep the dogs in their own room with their beds, rather than on the couch in the living room. The Ikea dividers aren't solid enough to keep them contained (2 x 20kg dogs)

Also it doesn't really work - it's not so cleanly divided that it's usable as a single room. It's just a big hole in the wall.

I'm leaning towards the stud wall idea :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Pick up a second hand set of interior double doors on adverts, with frame. You'll probanly change then in a few years when you renovate, so this will keep the cost down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Could you do something like this?

https://youtu.be/EddtnYpE4nc

I think it's a cool solution.

Advertisement