Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help choosing another road bike

Options
  • 20-01-2018 7:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,217 ✭✭✭

I'm kind of in the market for a new road bike - but went to a few shops today and didn't see anything that I fancy.

At the moment I'm using an aluminium Canyon Ultimate AL with an Sram Force groupset, Mavic Ksyrium wheels. There is nothing wrong with it and I probably wouldn't upgrade only for I have a BTW to use and could do with moving the other bike back to my parents place to have for holidays.

For the new bike I would like some of the following
    • ability to fit wider tires - 28mm minimum ideally
    • carbon frame (although open to sticking with alu)
    • hydraulic disc brakes (not an essential)
    • minimum 105-level groupset (compact with 11-32 cassette)
    • 1x groupset (again not essential)

No specific budget, maybe in the region of 1500

I will probably buy online from DE / NL / UK (living abroad). Any suggestions of what to look at hugely appreciated as I'm just not seeing anything that I'm thinking I want

These are ideas of what I have looked at
    https://www.rutlandcycling.com/bikes/road-bikes/giant-defy-advanced-2-2017-road-bike-red_371646

https://www.rutlandcycling.com/bikes/road-bikes/cube-attain-gtc-pro-disc-2017-carbon-road-bike-grey_373882

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Insurance12

I know you said carbon but the cube is 9.05Kg and the Giant 8.9Kg I would get the Canyon Endurace AL Disc 7.0
    It's Alu but lighter than both the carbons at 8.6kg and has 28mm tires with it as standard, I would prefer high end Alu over entry Carbon.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Go to a shop that does builds as well as sales (e.g. Humphries) and give them your budget and requirements and see what they can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭fat bloke

From your spec and budget tbh, it sounds like your new bike won't be anything as good as your current one...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,217 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

fat bloke wrote: »
    From your spec and budget tbh, it sounds like your new bike won't be anything as good as your current one...
    Fair point, I could increase to 2000 or so and get this

https://www.canyon.com/en-be/factory-outlet/category.html#category=road-bikes&id=22956

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,516 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Go to a shop that does builds as well as sales (e.g. Humphries) and give them your budget and requirements and see what they can do.
    to expand on the above - if you've not been there, humphries is one of those old school shops with dozens of frames hanging from the ceiling. you may see something there you won't see in most other shops, which tickles your fancy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 Insurance12

fat bloke wrote: »
    Fair point, I could increase to 2000 or so and get this

Rutlandcycling also have a Defy Advanced Pro to for €1800 which is around 8kg.

Thanks for replies so far.

Agree on low end carbon vs. alu - might increase budget or stick to aluminium.

I'll drop into Humphries next time I'm in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 1 1gong

i just got a kona zone 1,, full carbon with 105 ,,, super comfy and fast ,, kona are doing a clear out of zone 1 and 2
    with big reductions on prices ,, though sizes limited ,, the guys at mbw moycullen will be able to help you out,,, not
    listed on web give a call and see whats available,,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

You're describing a Cyclocross bike...

Brian wrote: »
    You're describing a Cyclocross bike...
    No not quite, still looking for a roadbike but want bigger than my 23mm tyres and compact group. 1x I accept is not really on many roadbikes yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

No not quite, still looking for a roadbike but want bigger than my 23mm tyres and compact group. 1x I accept is not really on many roadbikes yet

I think the vast majority of new bikes all use 25mm tyres and many have clearance for 28mm so it shouldn’t even be a consideration if buying brand new.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Get In There

On the off chance that your inseam is roughly around the same as me (81cm) and you'd take a 53cm frame then these two...

Rose Pro SL Disc (€1,450.95 delivered - no configuration)
    https://www.rosebikes.com/product/detail/aid:892063

VS

Ribble Sportive Racing Disc 105 Hydro SE (€1,364.00 delivered and allowance for configuration to handlebar, stem, cranks & optional upgrade to carbon seatpost)
    https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/ribble-sportive-racing-disc-105-hydro-se/#pid=40588

These were the two bikes I was looking buying outright earlier on this week following a clusterf**k by my HR in regards my CTW application (which was duly sorted out and my application to order the Canyon Endurace CF was approved in the end)

On the off chance that your inseam is roughly around the same as me (81cm) and you'd take a 53cm frame then these two...

Rose Pro SL Disc (€1,450.95 delivered - no configuration)
    https://www.rosebikes.com/product/detail/aid:892063

VS

Ribble Sportive Racing Disc 105 Hydro SE (€1,364.00 delivered and allowance for configuration to handlebar, stem, cranks & optional upgrade to carbon seatpost)
    https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/ribble-sportive-racing-disc-105-hydro-se/#pid=40588

These were the two bikes I was looking buying outright earlier on this week following a clusterf**k by my HR in regards my CTW application (which was duly sorted out and my application to order the Canyon Endurace CF was approved in the end)

I am just about, I'll take a look thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Looking for 105 and hydraulic brakes too myself with an aluminium frame for around the 1k mark if anyone has seen a good offer. Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 9,293 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Would some of the gravel bikes be worth a look? Obviously take a wider tyre, generally hydraulic disc's and 1x?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭cunavalos

Cannondale have a few bike that may fit your budget and specifications
    The CAADX cyclocross bike is available in Sram Apex 1 (1 x 11)
    mdb-15690_c17_c16707m_ard.jpg
    https://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m7b0s194p7463/CANNONDALE-CAADX-APEX-1-2017

The Slate is a bit of a left field option but also available in 1 x 11
    https://www.startfitness.co.uk/cannondale-2017-slate-apex-gravel-bike-blue-c15407m20.html
    cannondale-slate-apex-my17.jpg

The 105 version is slightly more expensive but comes equipped with front suspension fork
    cannondale-slate-disc-105-my16.jpg
    https://www.startfitness.co.uk/cannondale-2017-slate-disc-105-green-bycdm6slt05grn.html

One caveat with both Slate option is the use of 650b wheels which limit tyre options and replacement wheelsets

Upon consideration I've decided that what I really want is an aluminium winter bike with wider tires, discs and full mudguard clearance (looking at a few from Giant, Cannondale, Ribble, Dolan) and a full carbon summer bike, maybe a Canyon or Planet X Pro Carbon. This might get me in trouble.

Looking for suggestions on a sub 1000e winter bike especially, or any other suggestions

• Registered Users Posts: 23,322 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Looking for suggestions on a sub 1000e winter bike especially, or any other suggestions
    Didn’t spring start today ;)

ted1 wrote: »

Look out the window ya mad thing - spring?

I’ll be commuting in my shorts and short sleeve ;)

• Advertisement

I’ll be commuting in my shorts and short sleeve ;)

So having spent the day going around bike shops I'm more confused but a bit clearer.

Looking for a bike that will be my winter bike but not keen on some of the dedicated winter bikes. Ideally this will have 28mm tires, fit full mudguards or decent clearance for clip ons, tiagra or equivalent groupset minimum, and hydraulic disk brakes an advantage but not essential.

Looking at a few things like Planet X RT 58 (very good price), BMC Teammachine Alu (shop near me has a tiagra one reduced to 799), Cinelli Experience (also on sale nearby) or Cube Agree GTC or equivalents (closer to winter bike spec - but about a kilo heavier and most expensive)

Anyone have any suggestions in sub 1000€ price range? Hydraulic discs not easy to find at that price point

Will get the good bike separately

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭R.dufy454773

Looking at a few things like Planet X RT 58 (very good price),

I bought this bike in November as a first main road bike and have been impressed. I bought in Athlone and they matched the uk price for me so I got it for around 700 quid. Very decent strong bike with a good groupset , I'd definitely recommend it 👍🏼

Looking at a few things like Planet X RT 58 (very good price),

I bought this bike in November as a first main road bike and have been impressed. I bought in Athlone and they matched the uk price for me so I got it for around 700 quid. Very decent strong bike with a good groupset , I'd definitely recommend it ðŸ‘ðŸ¼

Thanks, can I ask which groupset you have on it? Do you use mudguards?

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭R.dufy454773

Thanks, can I ask which groupset you have on it? Do you use mudguards?

Hi, I got it with Tiagra and I don't have mudguards fitted but I believe It can take them

So having spent the day going around bike shops I'm more confused but a bit clearer.

Looking for a bike that will be my winter bike but not keen on some of the dedicated winter bikes. Ideally this will have 28mm tires, fit full mudguards or decent clearance for clip ons, tiagra or equivalent groupset minimum, and hydraulic disk brakes an advantage but not essential.

Looking at a few things like Planet X RT 58 (very good price), BMC Teammachine Alu (shop near me has a tiagra one reduced to 799), Cinelli Experience (also on sale nearby) or Cube Agree GTC or equivalents (closer to winter bike spec - but about a kilo heavier and most expensive)

Anyone have any suggestions in sub 1000€ price range? Hydraulic discs not easy to find at that price point

Will get the good bike separately

Where did you see the BMC at that price? Cheapest I've seen is 950 for a 2017 Tiagra model on Evans. Be interested in knowing what clearance that has tyre wise, comes with 23c I'd not be happy on less than 28c

https://www.evanscycles.com/en-ie/bmc-teammachine-alr01-tiagra-int-2017-road-bike-EV302257

EDIT: Just asking as a friend was looking at an entry level Trek this week and for the money even at 950 the BMC would poop all over it especially in terms of breaks which Trek go cheap on at that level.

Where did you see the BMC at that price? Cheapest I've seen is 950 for a 2017 Tiagra model on Evans. Be interested in knowing what clearance that has tyre wise, comes with 23c I'd not be happy on less than 28c

https://www.evanscycles.com/en-ie/bmc-teammachine-alr01-tiagra-int-2017-road-bike-EV302257

EDIT: Just asking as a friend was looking at an entry level Trek this week and for the money even at 950 the BMC would poop all over it especially in terms of breaks which Trek go cheap on at that level.

It's in a local BMC Concept Store, seems to be just one left (I don't live in Ireland). I've also seen it for not much more online though, I'll try to find the link.

On the questions on the Evans page, they are very clear that it takes 28c tires max - if I knew that it fitted these and a set of SKS raceblades together I'd go buy it in the morning

Advertisement