Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Secondary Teaching - Extra Modules Needed

Options
  • 20-01-2018 6:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi Guys,

I have been researching doing a masters in secondary education with the aim of teaching maths and physics. Currently from my degree I am short modules from 3rd year and do not have enough credits in either.

I am wondering has anyone else been in this situation or knows how they can bulk up their credits in order to meet the teaching councils' criteria?

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Shirr wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

I have been researching doing a masters in secondary education with the aim of teaching maths and physics. Currently from my degree I am short modules from 3rd year and do not have enough credits in either.

I am wondering has anyone else been in this situation or knows how they can bulk up their credits in order to meet the teaching councils' criteria?

Thanks in advance :)

Did you get your qualifications assessed by the Teaching Council? If you did, contact local universities and see if you can do those modules.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Do you have a maths and physics degree?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

I'd hazzard a guess that the university will let you on to the course without TC subject approval.

But before you pay a cent for the PME find out from the TC what exact modules you would need in both subjects.

As mtoutlemonde said above you could suss out colleges near to you. Alternatively Open university might have the modules (But I think they might be more expensive, unless you have an address up the north).
    Maybe if you're stuck for cash you could get one subject up to scratch with the TC, register as a teacher with that when you finish the PME and then complete the rest of the modules for the other subject as you go. MAths might be the most common to get work. Physics teachers are supposed to be scarce too but I don't know if the hours would be enough, then again a school might throw you into maths aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Shirr

I'd hazzard a guess that the university will let you on to the course without TC subject approval.

But before you pay a cent for the PME find out from the TC what exact modules you would need in both subjects.

As mtoutlemonde said above you could suss out colleges near to you. Alternatively Open university might have the modules (But I think they might be more expensive, unless you have an address up the north).
    Maybe if you're stuck for cash you could get one subject up to scratch with the TC, register as a teacher with that when you finish the PME and then complete the rest of the modules for the other subject as you go. MAths might be the most common to get work. Physics teachers are supposed to be scarce too but I don't know if the hours would be enough, then again a school might throw you into maths aswell.

Thanks for the help guys. I haven't had my qualifications accessed by the teaching council as they won't do it until I'm enrolled in a course and I don't want to enroll in a course and waste the money when I know myself I have to build up my credits first. Don't mind my ignorance but what is Open University?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Thanks for the help guys. I haven't had my qualifications accessed by the teaching council as they won't do it until I'm enrolled in a course and I don't want to enroll in a course and waste the money when I know myself I have to build up my credits first. Don't mind my ignorance but what is Open University?

Online/ through the post learning.

That's weird they won't assess. Over on another thread someone said they won't let you into some PME's until your ok'd by the TC.
    I'd say ring up the college and college and inform them what the TC said to you. That's news to me.
    Likewise try and get someone else on the TC to confirm this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

The TC won't assess your degree unless you already have a PME, or maybe during the last year of the course. For entry to the PME you sign a declaration that your degree fulfils the criteria set out by the TC. You self certify this so it's on you if it's not sufficient to register on qualification.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Shirr

My sister had to wait 3 months into her masters with Hibernia until she got confirmation off the TC to confirm she had enough credits from her degree. Some people were some credits short so are doing courses to make up for it and I was just wondering how to go about that as I would like to have them completed before I started a masters and paid out so much money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

My sister had to wait 3 months into her masters with Hibernia until she got confirmation off the TC to confirm she had enough credits from her degree. Some people were some credits short so are doing courses to make up for it and I was just wondering how to go about that as I would like to have them completed before I started a masters and paid out so much money.

Without giving out too much information - when you check your degree on the recognised list - is your degree there? What subject(s) are listed beside it? Once you qualify to teach one subject - the Teaching Council will register you. If you can, start the dip and then get them to assess and pick up the modules while doing the PME - a lot less expensive than the Open University.

Have you tried to register under Further Education? That would be a good start and you would get a Teaching Council number but it will cost €90 as assessment is €200.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 hellou

I'm currently doing some modules before I start my PME next year as I was short 2 to teach Applied Maths and 1 to teach Maths. You can do them as an Occasional Student in NUIG

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

I was registered as an occasional student for physics (to become qualified in physics) in Maynooth a couple of years ago. I did the second and third year modules in their Science Education degree.

• Advertisement
Advertisement